Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Crop tool  (Read 359 times)

Offline NickyTopic starter

Crop tool
« on: October 16, 2017, 12:43:51 am »
I created an item. I then used the crop tool to shorten it so it fit within a the rectangle.
Looked OK but when I exported  it as a png  the image was wider because the cropped section got incorporated within the selection.

How do I save it as a 400x600 image when the item cropped extended by 50 pix on the right side.
The image is 400x600 but the boundaries  make it 400x650  and would create a problem if I wanted to use in a page plus page for example.

Offline Teejay

Re: Crop tool
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:44:39 am »
mmmmmmmmm i dont use the crop  because it doesnt work the way i think it should.

how i would do this is with the rectangle shape.

i would make a rectangle the size of the image i want and place this over the picture.
i would then null out the fill and stroke of the rectangle  so it is invisible.
in the layers pallet i would grab the picture and nest/clip it inside the rectangle layer

if all has gone right you should have the image 'cropped'

if you need to tweak the image a few pixels this way or that...
you can select the picture layer in the layer panel...then move it about.

hope this helps nicky    i dont like that manky crop its cr.a.p    ...  :hal11:

Offline NickyTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:03:24 am »
 :thanks06: :thanks06: Remembered doing this your explanation when we did the palette and brushes. It did not work because I had forgotten that an other part was also cropped. Anyway it worked once I applied it to the other part as well and that is the important part. A big learning curve.  I will post the project in Show and Tell.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:34:45 am »
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :elmo:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 06:18:39 pm »
I have gotten used to the crop tool and it works just fine for me... that is, as long as I remember to go up and click the Move tool to complete the crop.  Maybe that's the part you were skipping, Nicky?
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)