Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Windows 10 Update Sound Problem ~ Lynn  (Read 225 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

Windows 10 Update Sound Problem ~ Lynn
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:34:42 pm »
The latest Windows 10 update was installed on my computer today. I have discovered that since then the only sound that will play is that annoying 4-note recording when you start your computer. (I usually don't hear this because I leave the sound turned off except when listening to or watching something with sound.) I have searched and discovered that sound problems are common after Windows updates. I have tried the various suggestions such as updating drivers and using the Microsoft Troubleshooter. Nothing has had any effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions. The only thing I can think of to do is to take it in to the repair section of the company that built my computer. They are always busy and behind so it may be a week or so before I would be able to get an appointment. Of course, there is a hefty basic charge for them to even look at it.

Offline Linda R

Re: Windows 10 Update Sound Problem ~ Lynn
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:53:01 am »
I'm going to try to install the update on my PC today.  I tried yesterday and for some reason it failed.  I'll let you know how it goes and if there are any ideas!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:15 am »
Hope your installation goes without any problems, Linda.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:52:58 am »
Have not got any update yet. Anyway, I usually have all sound muted.

Offline Majse

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:59 am »
I have heard about the problem too, Lynn. I am sorry I don't know how you can fix it. I wish I could help

I found some suggestions on google but I think you have already tried them. Updating drivers etc.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:27:36 pm »
Yes, I searched and found a bunch of helpful articles and silent videos, and I tried a lot of their suggestions, but nothing had any effect.

One odd thing, though, nobody mentioned still having the 4 tones sound when starting the computer. This showed me that my speakers were still working!

Offline Majse

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:34:31 pm »
It must be some of the settings - but I have no clue. Updating can really give problems and grey hair

Offline Linda2

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »
I usually keep my PC muted as well Lynn...only rarely opening the sound for anything.  My old PC just died after the upgrade....maybe it was on it's last legs anyway but my major problems started after the upgrade.  Anyway, I got this one set up and since I rarely use the sound , honestly that was one thing I did not even check to see if it was working.    Duh....me....anyway. I just opened a video and found the same problem you described as far as being able to hear it.  I then right clicked the speaker over on the taskbar(right side in my case) and tried to do a sound check.  I was able to get  the same PC sounds as you described but no other sounds if I tried to view a video.  I then went back over to the little speaker and right clicked again and this time I checked playback devices and went in there and found that my speakers had no check beside them.  I can't remember exactly the order but anyway I checked that box beside my speaker set up clicked Ok and tried again and I now have sound.  Have no idea how long it would have taken me to find all this out if you hadn't mentioned it.  I guess until we had a tutorial that I needed to watch that didn't have CC.....
I'm sure you have already tried this but since it just worked for me I thought I'd toss it out here.  Good luck.  Since you know you have sound I am sure it will be some minor something that needs tending to. 

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 05:07:20 pm »
I have not had any problems with sound that I know of.  i just watched that magician video and it was fine.  However, I do not get the four tones (whatever they are) when I turn on my computer.

I was just trying to install AP on my laptop when Windows decided it wanted to do its thing first.  Decided to let it do it's thing. Windows seems to have a mind of its own anyway.

Offline Linda R

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 05:22:02 pm »
I tried to install the update yesterday and today and it failed both times.  Ever since I got Windows 10, my PC hangs on restarts.  Then I have to do a hard shut down and restart.  The update must not like that.  Guess it will have to wait for now.
 Linda, that was a good luck that you found your speakers were not check marked.    I get a startup beep when my PC boots, but that comes from a speaker in the PC, not thru the external speakers.  Hope you can figure yours out Lynn!

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 11:38:27 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will see if I have better luck second time around.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 01:50:09 pm »
I updated my laptop yesterday and it literally took all day to do it!!  Didn't check the sound so just now ran to the bedroom to boot it up and check it out.  Sound works perfectly!  I'm a happy camper!

Hope you get your problem solved soon, Lynn, it's no fun having computer problems when all you want to do is have fun!! :xmas51:

Offline Majse

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 11:58:01 pm »
Is your problem solved, Lynn?

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 07:03:32 am »
No, I've tried everything I could find but no luck.

I am thinking of what to do next. My latest idea is to have the computer builder take remote control of my computer and fix it. Their tech has used this procedure effectively several times in the past, and it would save me having to take my computer in. I will have to go to their store and talk to her. If she agrees, I will pay their basic charge and make an appointment to call her.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)