Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Managing all those brushes!  (Read 714 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Managing all those brushes!
« on: December 20, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »
I took a peek at my brushes in AD and didn't realize how many I have!!  I need to control my urges to grab every one I see!  Ended up deleting a lot of them that I am positive I will never use.  i am not a painter!

In the process, I discovered something you all probably already know, but just in case here's what I found.  I had 4 different brush categories for San because each time I did a tut, I downloaded the brushes.  I found if I click on the menu, I can move those brushes.  So, I renamed one of the categories "San's Brushes" and moved all her brushes into that one category.  Did the same with my Teejay brushes as well as my own.  Now it will be much easier to find what I want.

The one thing I really wish we could do is sort by category so they would all be in place alphabetically. It would make it so much easier to go through the list!! :xmas25:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Teejay

Re: Managing all those brushes!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:43:36 am »
right that's it am of to sort my brushes at last
thanks ML

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:37:28 am »
Yes I noticed that too MaryLou.  Like you wish we could list them alphabetically. Maybe that's something Serif will do in the future. 

Offline San

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:57 am »
 It is a good tip you have given I had work that one out ages ago but forgot about it.

I agree it would be lovely to list them alphabetically

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:16:01 pm »
Since I'm not really into using brushes, I was just collecting them and installing them.  I ended up with a whole bunch of them that I know I will never, ever use so deleted all of them.  That' when I noticed I had a number of brushes in categories all by themselves.  First thing I tried was drag and drop... that didn't work but I knew there had to be a way to combine things.  Good old click on the menu did it!

Now, I have brushes that I am most likely to use at some point and not a bunch of stuff that one has just to have them.   I probably could get them all alphabetical by exporting them, then deleting from AD, then importing in order but that's a LOT o trouble just for some brushes!! :xmas57: :xmas74:

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:15:38 am »
It's very easy to get loaded up with Brushes. I try to keep good housekeeping these days and only install the ones that I know I will use.  Also I think too many imports may slow down AD. I remember this being the case with PSP.

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:57:45 pm »
If you REALLY want to sort them manually, you can.  Just export each category and delete it.  When done, import them alphabetically.  I actually did that because I wanted my own brushes grouped together.  It's a shame they didn't do that to start with.   Someone wasn't paying attention to detail!  :laugh1:

Offline Majse

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:22:28 am »
In psp you can point to a folder outside psp. Can I do that in AD too? I don't have many gradients but I think there are 3 folders with about 6-7 gradients in each. The same in all the folders. It would be nice to be able to keep good housekeeping as SherylC says  :laugh1:

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:11 pm »
Majse, are your gradients bitmap images?  If so, you can definitely store them outside.  I have hundreds of fill patterns all neatly tucked away in folders and can access them when I want to use them.

Offline Majse

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:51:58 am »
I don't know where to see that, MaryLou? And I don't know how and when they came into AD. I don't think I put them there  :scratch3: But thank you

I think one of my problems is that I compare PSP and AD too much. They are really different but I take my habits with me into AD. It is hard to let go. Like stop smoking....

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 11:58:38 am »
Wow!  You have a lot more fills than I have.  I don't have those last Guide UI fills.  Going to have to check that out!!

The hardest thing in the world is for a long-time smoker to stop smoking! I started smoking out behind the barn around age 13 and by time I was in my 50's, I was smoking 3 packs a day.  By then, none of my friends smoked and I was the holdout. Finally took the plunge.  So glad I did!  No more brown stained windows, walls, curtains, etc.  The problem was, I enjoyed smoking. Once you stop, what do you do with your hands? Took a lot of mental re-training to break a lifetime habit.   I didn't realize the damage I was doing to myself.  A few years after I stopped, I was diagnosed with emphysema.  Can't blame anyone but myself!  On the other hand, it was heavily advertised as being good for you. Even Ronald Reagan had a Chesterfields commercial where that was the brand he recommended.  We had no idea it was so bad.  If I had not smoked, I would be in such great health now!  My own fault.  :yes03:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 12:06:23 pm »
majse

all your psp  stuff like your gradients and  psptubes will not transfer to affinity designer.
but all your jpg  or png patterns can be used in affinity designer also 
any abr brushes can be installed in ad

its the way they like to make programs I think
each have their own special file type and you cant swap between programs ... sorry

Offline Majse

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 02:01:21 am »
Thanks Teejay - but I mean all the AD-things. If I could have them in a folder outside the program and point AD to that folder instead of having them ind the program

ML, I quit smoking in 2001. I got a dog from my husband if I stopped. So I did. That dog was very lucky - we went for so many walks instead om me lightning a cigarette LOLL

The fills - I don't know how they ended there. Maybe when I got the program a long time ago. But I will find a way to clean up  :jumper:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 02:22:47 am »
in short  majse
no you cant
affinity  house their brushes   gradients pallets  assets all within the program
you cannot point ad at anything  which is a shame I like having all my goodies outside of the program but you cant with AD or AP

the only thing we have  that is  nearly that ... is when you use a fill...then we can browse to an outside folder ... but as far as I know that's it.

Offline Majse

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 07:00:10 am »
Thanks Teejay - I am glad to know that. I have thought a lot about it. Now I have to find another problem to fill up my brains LOLL

Maybe some day they will change it  :yes03:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)