Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Art Boards  (Read 636 times)

Offline Teejay

Re: Art Boards
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 03:43:45 am »
ohhhhhhhhhhh that's handy o know about the document ...I am of to try it ...thanks shez...

Offline Teejay

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 03:46:40 am »
are you sure its the shift ....is there another key to hold as well as the drag...mine isn't doing it ... :thud:

Offline Margaret

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 09:29:55 am »
Use the middle button on the mouse Teejay. No need to use anything else! Just press and move!!

Offline Teejay

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 10:15:44 am »
erm..... I haven't got a middle button ..well  I have but it makes all the pages and programs line up on the desktop
I didn't know it did that
but it doesn't move the document.
awwwwwwwww that isn't fair is it.

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 10:26:13 am »
Sorry my fault...I meant the Spacebar. So if you hold down the Spacebar and Mouse (or tablet Pen) you can move the document around the workspace.

I've amended my original post.

Margaret, that works great too if your mouse has a middle button or wheel. I find the wheel useful for scrolling slowly through texty docs.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 11:49:55 am »
spacebar did the trick
it changes the curser to a hand and moves the scroll bars by dragging ...I got it thankyou  ..its a new one on me... :thumb3:

Online MaryLouTopic starter

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 11:59:24 am »
Sheryl, yes, you can move the document that way but it's not really moving it, it moves the scroll bars. 

Try this:
Create a new document, then hold spacebar and drag document around.  Watch the horizontal and vertical scroll bars.  They are the only thing that moves. The document itself is still in the same position.  It has the same effect as using just the mouse but it lets you scroll both bars at the same time.

Create a new document as an artboard.  Drag the artboard around. It can be moved anywhere but your scroll bars don't move.  You are moving the artboard itself.  With a document, you are moving the scroll bars.

Here's a quick tip I got from Teejay.  If you create a document and you forgot to check the artboard box, click the Artboard icon in the toolbar  , then drag it over top of the document. The document will be changed to an artboard.   

I found that if you decide you don't want the artboard, just delete it in the Layers panel and it will change into a document.  Pretty cool!!   You will not lose the images you've already created when moving from one format to the other.    Try it!  It's very flexible!

Offline Majse

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 12:42:46 am »
I just tried your tut with the artboard, MaryLou. I am too new in AD to understand why it is better or see the  difference. I can see it is not what I normally work with in AD but can't figure out what is different. But I loved your tutorial  :stars:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 03:27:38 am »
THAT tutorial is now playing over in the workshops Majse
go post your work over there and lets see  :jumper: :yes03: :whoo:

Offline Majse

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 03:49:16 am »
Okay I will, Teejay  :stars:

Offline SherylC

• Staff
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:17 am »
Yes, it only moves the Scroll Bars but handy if you want to see your document.   

The Arboard tool is pretty nifty. I like it.

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 01:42:42 pm »
Definitely handy, Sheryl because that's the only way you can move both directions at the same time. 

Offline Lynn

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 06:23:59 am »
I used an Artboard in the Do Over Discover project following your excellent instructions, MaryLou.

Later I played around with an Artboard and discovered a problem. I can move a shape completely off of the Artboard and have it show on the scratchboard (my settings for this for a document did not transfer; I had to set it separately for the Artboard), but if I place the shape so that part is on the Artboard and part is on the scratchboard, the part on the scratchboard does not show. I really don't like this!

Offline SherylC

• Staff
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 12:28:59 pm »
Well, here is an odd thing MaryLou. In other programmes I use the Spacebar and Mouse together and I can move the actual document around the workspace. The scroll bars do not move.

In AD the scroll bars move but not the document, or i should say the document does move but only in line with the scroll bars.

Re Artboard, to test exporting and saving purposes, I placed a rectangle half on the Artboard and half off. Although the section off the artboard wasn't visible i selected the whole rectangle and exported as a png without background. i was pleased to see that the entire rectangle had saved and reopened in full.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 01:33:44 pm »
Lynn, I just tried what you said and i suspect that it's a bug.  There is also another bug.  When you create a new document, and you put in your sizes, etc, it stays that way until you physically change it.  Everything sticks.  However, if you check  the Artboard box, that does NOT stick.

According to the affinity board, it used to stick and is now being looked at because it should stick.  I will post this paste board problem on the Affinity  board in the bugs section.  It should not work that way.

Thanks for the nice compliment on the tutorial!!   :stars: :stars:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)