Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: New Egg Cooker!  (Read 133 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

New Egg Cooker!
« on: February 12, 2018, 03:06:00 pm »
I don't know if any of you have seen the ads on TV for "Egglets" or not so I'll explain. They are little plastic containers shaped similar to an egg.  If you want to boil eggs, you crack them and put the contents inside the little egglet, put the lid on, and put in a pan filled with water.  Bring to a boil, and cook to your desired taste.

I really wanted to try these but they are $14.95 for a set of 6!  That's far more than I would ever use.  I've been  tempted to buy them many times but decided, why not make my own!!  So, I used one of those little plastic Glad storage containers.  Broke the egg into the container and put it into a pan of water and it seemed all was going well.  However, when the water got to boiling temperature, the plastic container kept floating around.  So much for that idea!   I put a juice glass on it to hold it down because i wanted to see how well it cooked.  In the end, the egg stuck to the sides of the container but it was cooked to perfection!

So, I pondered over spending the money for the little cookers because I HATE peeling eggs! Then I realized that a little oil smeared around inside would keep the egg from sticking but I needed a better way to hold the container down in the water.  Looked in my utility drawer and there was a package of drawer pulls. They were quite heavy. I thought.. maybe?  So, I put a hole in the container lid and bolted on the knob.  Broke an egg into it and waited for the water to boil.  After 3.5 minutes, I removed the container from the water, removed the lid, the egg slid right out on to my plate. Cooked exactly as I like it!  Now I can have boiled eggs for breakfast far more often without dreading the peeling part!  Using what I already had, I was able to save $14.95!   Here's what it looks like.   Be assured, I will never peel an egg again!

Offline Grethe

Re: New Egg Cooker!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:39:31 am »
 :omg: Nothing stop you, does it!?  :tada:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:38:34 am »
is it like a boiled egg  can you dio your sokiers in the yolk,

Offline San

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:45:43 am »
What a genius idea MaryLou now you have your very own egg cooker and it most probably works better than the ones you buy .

I have not seen the add for egglets here but I am sure it will come soon.

Offline Eddie

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 12:34:17 pm »
 :praise16: idea Mary Lou. I think we call them poached eggs over here when cooked like that. Saves a lot of hassle peeling them as you rightly say.  :thumb3:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 12:51:31 pm »
ohhhhh poached ...they are yummsious.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 03:45:43 pm »
Eddie....no, no, no - not poached. The eggs are never in the water.  You crack them into the little container and put the container in the water. 

Teejay said: can you dio your sokiers in the yolk
[/size]

I don't have a clue!!!  I don't know what you just said!!   :look: :look: :look:   but, if the eggs are cooked on lower heat for 3-1/2 minutes after the water comes to a boil, the egg will come out soft in the middle and I can dip my toast in it.

For those who don't know what an egglet is, you can see them here.

They work perfectly when cracked in a small container, then boiled in a pan of water.  My biggest problem was keeping the container from tilting and floating around in the water.  The little handle is just heavy enough  to do it.

They would make some interesting deviled eggs because they take on the shape of the container.  Also nice when making egg or potato salad - no eggs to peel!!!  Can you tell that I do NOT like to peel eggs?  :no-no: :no-no: :no-no:

As the old saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention!! :yes01:    Now I'm off to find a dictionary to explain "dio your sokiers"   :laugh1:

They are exactly the same as if  you had boiled them in their natural shell.  You're just using a different shell!

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:25:05 am »
my arthritis ....have pity..... I have fingers the size of tree trunks at the moment and the joints are like a range of mountaims
I miss spelt....(who me) .....
I  wrote  dip your soldiers  in your soft egg yolk ...... but it came out like  that...that...gobbledygook

we poach our eggs that way
I have a set of these  they don't have lids but when you put them in boiling water they float but do not tip over ..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poachers-Silicone-PoachPod-Poacher-Minutes/dp/B015MMCDWI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1518600122&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=poached+egg+pods&psc=1

they are sort of rubbery and if you put a little butter in with your cracked egg the can be turfed out nicely  onto your toast.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 03:44:24 pm »
Well, if that isn't the cutest little thing!!!    :yes03:  Floating Egg Pods!! Actually, it's not a true poached egg because poached eggs are cracked directly into the water.  I like that idea!  There must be some type of balancing going on to keep them from tipping over when the water boils.  Either that, or they are thick enough so the bubbles can't cause them to tip.  I'm going to look into that one!   

Poached eggs spread out on the water and you could not use them to make sliced eggs, deviled eggs, and things like that.  I'm going to have to go through my cupboards!!  :jumper:

Offline Tom C

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 08:24:42 pm »

I use  a small  hinged Plastic gizmo ....break an egg in 2 places.. close lid.. 1 or so min in micro
not to bad.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:41 pm »
Tom, I've seen that one on Amazon  but I'm not that fond of microwaved stuff.  Still..  I might give it a try.

Teejay, you know you didn't misspell those words. We all know you brits talk funny!!  :yes03: :yes03:  I did try and look them up but no luck!!! :look: :look:

I found the perfect egg cooker!  I looked in my cupboards and found these little Corel Ware bowls. I have 6 of them but they've never been used because I don't have anything for which to use them!  They go with all my other dishes.  When I saw it, I knew that was the answer.  It's heavy enough to not tip over.   I fixed an egg tonight for dinner.  Here's how.  First, I wiped the inside of the little bowl with butter (I like that better than oil), then cracked an egg into the cup.  Put about 1-1/2 inches of water in a pan and brought it to a boil.  dropped the little egg and bowl into the hot water, turned the heat down to medium, and put a lid on the pan.  Set the timer for 4 minutes. 

When it was done, it just slid out of the little dish.  Actually, I could have eaten it right from the cup.  However, 4 minutes was a bit too long.  Next time, will go for 3 minutes so the center is cooked but still a bit runny.  Wow..  I'm going to be eating a lot of eggs because this is so easy to make and I can do it one at a time!!   Here's my little egg bowl:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:40:52 am »
That is the PERFECT cooking pot for a single egg ...awesome.
And because the egg slips out ..its easy washing up .

Cant get over you finding a perfect egg cooker and a use for those cute pots.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 12:42:23 pm »
Teejay, I looked up the little ones like you have on Amazon. Almost bought them too!   Sure glad I found those little dishes in the cupboard!  They've been there for almost 5 years and I've never ever used them.  Didn't have much use for something that size.  Now I have a whole bunch of egg cookers!!  Would be a great way to fix breakfast for a small group too!  They are egg-sactly  what I needed!!!     I am happy!  I saved money and got something even better!! :tada: :stars: :yes03:

Offline San

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 01:00:22 pm »
They would be great for eggs  I don't have anything that size in my cupboards

I just bought a  Decor Microsafe Easy Steam Egg Poacher  which is great I also bought the bacon one but that does not cook up bacon like you see on the TV but will give it another try  the eggs come out great.  They were half price when I bought them. 

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 02:08:10 pm »
I will check out that egg poacher, San.  Sounds interesting!  I'm all for anything that's easy to use.

I like my bacon nice and crispy and I don't want any mess to clean up.  So, I use a large size paper plate with a layer of paper towels.  Place the bacon strips on the paper towels, place one paper towel on the top (not really needed because it doesn't splash), and pop into microwave.  My microwave has a "bacon button" that I just push. I think it cooks around 5 minutes.  When it's done, I use the tongs to move it to a real plate, then dump the paper towels, plate and all in the garbage.  Delicious crisp bacon, no mess!

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)