Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Pen Tool to selection  (Read 533 times)

Offline JimmyTopic starter

Re: Pen Tool to selection
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 03:16:51 am »
there is and its in the pixel persona...hello hello am I here  :look: ....is anyone there ....    :whoo: am I alone...... hello hellooo  can anyone find me please.   :stars: :jumper: :yes03:

Sorry my hearing aids were turned off  :stars:
Manky AP selection keeps the fill inside its boundary 

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 03:37:38 am »
yes I get the paint only inside but why don't you want to fill it....
but never mind you know what you want and you have found it
did you also find the selection tool in your Pixel persona side of AD
and good for you for finding it in AP.

:praise45: Teejay You have hit the nail on the head  :praise50: Now why did I not think of that  :snagme: Off for some Danish beer and cheese Thank you everyone nice cheery place this. Any coffee brewing?

Offline Teejay

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 04:26:41 am »
mmmmmmm there are better ways of keeping your paintstroke in the shape

do you know about clipping...   or nesting
if you do .
you can paint on a layer and clip the painted layer to your shape.
if you have a big ? over your head let me know its easy and essential to good vector work.

this is the effect you get from clipping
there is a lot more to clipping.... many things can be done with this simple but awesome ability.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 06:08:19 am »
 :praise58: I know about clipping just never thought about using like that  :praise09:   

Offline Lin

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 08:31:25 am »
 :look: just wrote that.. posted and then saw TeeJay beat me to it..  :laugh1:

Online MaryLou

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 04:35:48 pm »
Jimmy, I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.  Do you simply want to fill the hair with a color?  If so, all you need to do is go to the colors (0r swatches) and pick a color.   That's what I did in the image below.  Selected the pen tool, clicked around the image, turned on the color and filled it with red.     Just curious, why so many little nodes?  The fewer the nodes, the smoother the lines.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 11:05:48 pm »
MaryLou  :praise20:  :yes01:  :stars: Thank you this is the help I was looking for. I'm learning AD
Thank you
Jimmy

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 02:26:53 am »
Now what have I wrong? :laugh1: How do I fix?  :woof:

Online MaryLou

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 02:31:37 pm »
Jimmy, you have a hole in the bucket and the paint keeps running out!  In other words, you don't have a closed curve.  The beginning and the end do not connect.  However, there are a number of solutions to that.

You could just draw a circle, then clip it to the hair. The problem with that would be if you changed colors... you'd have to change the circle too.

You could draw a shape that's similar to the "hole", then use the Add function to add the two pieces together. This would let you change colors.

You could just connect the beginning to the end but that might not work on this particular image.

You could draw the hair as one object, then draw the bun as another and add them together.

These are only some of the solutions.  I like the last one best.

Would like to make some suggestions for creating artwork with nodes.  The fewer nodes, the smoother the image.  Look at the image below.  On the top part, I just clicked a bunch of straight lines at points where the shape changes.  On the second part, I used the node tool to drag the curves into place.

Give this a try to see how easy it is: 

Use the pen tool to draw a line with a node in the beginning, one in the center, and one at the end.
Change to the Node tool.  Hover the node tool over the center of the line on the left side until you see a little tilde under the node tool.  Holding down the mouse button, drag the line upward.  It should form a nice curve. ( see image below).  Repeat for the right side but drag the line downward.

This is exactly  how I made the hair on my example.  I did have to adjust one or two node handles but that was no big deal.  You can see how smooth the lines come out when using fewer nodes.  I hope this helps.

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 12:24:56 am »
Thank you, this is exactly the help I need  :praise70:

Online MaryLou

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 01:32:26 pm »
You are very welcome!!  I love vectors and always challenge myself to see how few nodes I can use to create something.  I learned this method by looking at how others made theirs.  That helped a lot!  What I don't like is coloring them after making them!  :look:

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 06:28:51 am »
Jimmy, I would strongly advise learning all there is to learn about using the Pen Tool. In my opinion it is the best tool in AD and other graphic programmes come to that. The Pen tool allows you free movement, In other words you can draw draw just about anything you want and shape it using the nodes. Another advantage of learning the Pen Tool and it's nodes is that what you lean is transferrable to other graphic programmes as they work to a similar format.

Offline Majse

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 05:47:51 am »
I would love a beginners tut with the pen tool and the nodes. They are so naughty. I can never control them - sometimes I have hundreds and deleting them one by one takes time  :laugh1:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 07:42:47 am »
Majse
if you have lots of extra nodes try clicking the smooth curve
it may get rid of a few nodes all at once
BUT be aware in some cases it can warp the shape a  little and if you click on it a few times
it can warp your shape a lot...

Offline Majse

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:04 am »
Thanks Teejay - this will be useful  :thanks02:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)