Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Compound vs group...Grethe  (Read 141 times)

Offline GretheTopic starter

Compound vs group...Grethe
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:57 am »
I've been thinking....ohyes, I still have a brain. :lol05:
What is really the different between compound and group? Both give you opportunity to change whatever you want, doesn't they?

Offline Majse

Re: Compound vs group...Grethe
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:40:15 am »
I had the same question

http://pirc-forum.com/index.php?topic=33899.0

I can see the diffence now but not clearly. Still thinking about it  :look:

Online MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 04:24:28 pm »
Grethe, I think I explained that in the project post.  But, just in case....   When you group a bunch of images, it does NOT change the property of anything within the group.  If you have a red ellipse, a green triangle, and a purple cog, and you group them, they stay the same.

If you compound a red ellipse, a green triangle, and a purple shape, all shapes take the characteristics of the first shape.  If the red ellipse was the first shape, all the shapes will turn red.   You can create a new shape by combining shapes.  You cannot do that with a group.

You can't compare group and compound, they are totally different things.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.

However, you can compare Compound to Add. 

Take those same three shapes and apply the Add option.  They will all take on the color of the first shape but they will become one whole shape that cannot be taken apart.  Once added, you can't edit the individual shapes.

With a compound, you can still edit each individual shape. 

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 08:03:09 am »
Well said, sure clarifies a few things MaryLou, thanks.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)