Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Question for Teejay  (Read 185 times)

Offline LaDonnaTopic starter

Question for Teejay
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:17:23 pm »
First of all, congratulations on snagging your neighbor and the success with your computer. I'm especially happy that your problem is resolved because now I won't feel guilty about bothering you with a question when you're stressed.

Question - I live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and I was curious how the city of Lancaster is pronounced in the UK? We have two versions here. In California they pronounce it Lan' cast er. Here in PA we pronounce it Lank' a ster. (Hope I did that so you can read it correctly.) I've been busy doing some serious genealogy, and would like to pronounce the hometown of some of my relatives in the UK correctly. I'm thinking the CA version will be the correct one.

:thanks02:. When I finally get my genealogy project completed, and finally can get away from it, and if I'm still welcome would like to return to PIRC, as it is a place that always lifts my spirits.

Offline MaryLou

Re: Question for Teejay
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:01:19 pm »
Long time no see, LaDonna!!  Glad you stopped by.  Interesting question.  I checked with Google where they have vocal pronunciations and they both sounded the same to me.  In California, or at least  do, pronounce it as lan-ˌka-stər with the emphasis on the first 3 letters.

I should tell you, you will NEVER be finished with genealogy.  I've been working on mine since the 70's.  Can trace back 12 generations on my maternal side but only a few back on my paternal side because many of the records in Germany were destroyed in the wars.   I have photos showing 8 generations of females, starting with my great, great grandmother up to current times all female and the 9th one is female but not a direct line. I want to put together one photo with all of them in it .. someday!   I love genealogy!  What program do you use to keep track of things?

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:02:31 am »
Thanks MaryLou for your response.  Yes, genealogy study never ends. I’m working on 8 family trees. I use Ancestry and the newer version of Family Tree Maker.  My Mother’s tree goes back about 8 generations, and a large number were from Germany, so I know what you mean by the lack of information. My largest tree is my father’s family. My maiden name is Constable, and that goes waaay back in the UK. I’ve made two trees in the Constable line – one that goes back about 8 generations, which I have a lot of documentation for. I call this my Basic Constable Tree and it is for public use to share with others. Then I have what I call my “Factual, Speculative, Mythical Constable Tree” which I created as a fun project, and have it going back to Adam and Eve. I keep this one private, as the name indicates, there are tons of questionable links. I had a lot of help from others in Ancestry, and with the Constable line being easier than most to research.  I found several trees where they also traced their line back that far. One has to be careful in using other’s research in Ancestry, where there are errors galore, including some of mine I’m sure. I became really excited when I discovered that the British artist John Constable was my 12th cousin 1 x removed. I mentioned this to Teejay and if I recall correctly she called him “snarky.” LOL (I just love Teejay’s sense of humor.)

I’ve been working with the Lancaster County Art Assoc. I wish all communities would have something like this. They change their exhibits about every 8 weeks, accepting art from members and the general public in all mediums. The art is judged by a different judge for each exhibit, and prizes and awards are given out. It’s tricky getting an award, as one is competing against paintings, drawings, watercolors, sculptures, etc.  I have entered some photography and fractal art, and have managed to win two second place, two third place, and two honorable mentions. I use a lot of post work with both my photography and fractal art, and credit my lessons at PIRC for the ribbons – couldn’t have done it without you guys.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:36 am »
Helloo hello
Just cos i love you i will tell ....  Its pronounced lan....cas.....ter

Did you know there was a war of the roses

yorkshire =white rose (me) pronounced york.....sher
Lancaster = red rose (you)

And the white rose won not that i am gloating or anything....just

Mer mer ma mer mer. :laugh1:....

How are you doing over your side of the drip our kid. X

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 03:51:23 pm »
Thanks TeeJay.

I’m glad you cleared that up for me. We’ve butchered the English language enough here that I really wanted the traditional pronunciation. I wasn’t really familiar with the Wars of the Roses. However, in Pennsylvania York County is located next to Lancaster County – maybe so we can feud among one another more easily? We didn’t lose the British connection, as Lancaster’s nickname here is the “red rose city” and York’s nickname is the “white rose city.”

All's well on this side of the pond, and hope that your winter wasn't as brutally cold as ours has been.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 03:55:36 pm »
MaryLou,

I love looking back at old photos, and there's always an interesting story behind all of them. Wow, photos of 8 generations of women in your family. Hope you find time to display them in some fashion. Would love to see the completed work.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)