Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Windows Update? ...Grethe  (Read 777 times)

Offline Majse

Re: Windows Update? ...Grethe
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2018, 06:03:54 am »
It makes me so angry, SherylC. I had to buy a new computer a couple of years ago. Because I got an update and it went wrong. I contacted Microsoft but they didn't give a tiny ants as....hh. Well I am NOT looking forward for this new big update. Still waiting for it to show up on my computer  :cheergirl:

Offline Linda R

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2018, 02:14:46 pm »
 :thanks02: Sheryl!

In trying to fix mine this weekend I did a lot of research about the updates and error messages I was getting.  Everytime there is a big update, my PC crashes.  According to Microsoft, updates very rarely cause any problems with PC's.  If there is a problem that occurs, it is usually just a coincidence.  I don't buy that a bit!  That would be way too many coincidences I think!  Hope they fix you up Sheryl!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2018, 05:57:20 pm »
I had no problems with updating my laptop, it went very smoothly.  I suspect it's because I had recently cleaned it up, got rid of junk and used cCleaner to clean up the registry.    I had not done that on the dektop in quite some time and I install/uninstall a lot of stuff.  So, I may have had some bad files on my system.  If I had been smarter, I would have created a restore point.  Then I could have had windows set things back the way they were.  I now have a thumb drive with a complete system restore on it, if needed and a restore point created on my system.  This is the first time I've had a problem since about Win 7. 

I'm fortunate in that I can fix my own problems and don't have to pay someone to do it. I did get some help from the Microsoft Forum although they didn't have the correct solution, they were very encouraging.

Good luck to anyone else who's updating!

Offline Majse

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2018, 11:29:20 am »
I clean up my computer with ccleaner and antivirus every day because I know I can get in trouble if not LOLL. I am good at keeping my computer clean but I am not good with the back up  :laugh1:

I hope it goes well for everybody

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2018, 05:05:53 pm »
The AVG or antivirus should always be on but running cCleaner every day is overkill.  If you feel you have to do it often, try once a week.  The only time it really needs to be cleaned is if you download files and install them. They are what changes the registry and the registry is what keeps things working nicely.   :yay: :yay:

Offline Majse

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2018, 12:46:24 am »
I know I am too busy with the ccleaner - and you are right. But the cCleaner doesn't take long. AVG is faster than my old antivirus (Bullguard)

I have been thinking of Kaspersky - I have heard a lot of good things about it through the years

Offline Teejay

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2018, 02:33:58 pm »
so  you  remember how I had so much trouble with an update ..not this big one..but the one before
and I dragged that nice young man in and he helped me sort it .

he also stopped the updates this was because my pc was too old for the updates that's what HP told me .

so imagine my fright when I walked into the room and an update was in progress ..
it took an hour ( i have superfast broadband ) and i am now the very proud owner of my old HP desktop with the latest windows update
it went smoothly...oh my god... i was having kittens...lol

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   :yes03: :smiley01: :praise53:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2018, 03:06:53 pm »
 :brav01:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2018, 12:27:16 pm »
Wow!!  Teejay, you've got a real gem  there!  Glad all went well for you.  It's no fun when you have to fight to make things work.   I do like Win 10, but it wants to do too much for me, things that I would rather not do!  However, as long as it lets me do my thing, I can live with it.

Majse, when you get a program like AVG that works well, don't change it!  That's when people get into trouble.   :laugh1:

Offline Majse

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2018, 08:50:31 am »
Ha Ha yeah - so right, MaryLou

Good for you, Teejay! We love our computers most when they work  :laugh1:

Offline Majse

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2018, 03:41:08 am »
I still haven't got that update. Still on version 1709. I get many updates and install them all. Now I have the problem Lynn had. No sound  :pullhair:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)