Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: A Pen Tip - Teejay  (Read 551 times)

Offline TeejayTopic starter

A Pen Tip - Teejay
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »
when drawing with the pen tool in the pen mode  (not the smart mode sorry Lynn) sometimes I want to bend and shape as I go
 Shaping as you go is usually ok for the first bend but then everything seems to go weird on the next length

there is a way to stop the weirdness.

make your first line with a bend on it

then click the last node you made
then carry on and make your next shape or bend
then click the last node you made again
then make your next bend.

i think what it is doing each time you click on the last node is
 it makes the clicked node into a sharp node . This enables you to make a curve or bend without influencing your previous bends.

anyway  for those of you who are struggling ...why not give it a whirl. Its easy.

hope i have explained this  well enough if not just say and i will give it another go ...lol

Online Rege

Re: A Pen Tip - Teejay
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »
I don't know if I understood everything but by drawing this way (which I never do) I don't get weird reactions.

Online Rege

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
I may be next to the question but if I want to modify only one side of the knot by playing with one of the handles, I keep the "Alt" key pressed when I manipulate the handle, it allows to modify the side corresponding to the selected handle, the other side does not move.

I'm sorry if I answer next to the question!

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:39:37 AM »
yep you are right rege I have my finger hovering over the Alt key...lol

the Alt key is my friend

did you know you can hold Alt and drag the line between nodes and you will only effect the line you drag ...not the lines before or after the nodes on either side of the line.

Online Rege

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
Yes, it works for the node or for the segment between two nodes.

For my part I place the knots at the key points and then curve once they are all in place. I'm more comfortable with this method.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »
I do it both ways

sometimes I like to bend as I go
I am making my own font  and I bent the curve as I created the grasses.

Online Rege

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »
 :praise25: Very nice, your font promises to be pleasant to read.

I don't have enough inspiration to create one. I had thought about it a long time ago but I gave up for lack of inventiveness.

Offline San

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
Thanks for those tips I will get there one day.  I am just lucky I can work the handles.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »
San you are soo funny.
as for the font I have had a few goes at in  but never with ad  ..so I am making my letters in ad saving them as svg and using a font creator program I purchase two lifetimes ago.

it will take me for ever to finish but I love mushrooms and silloette silhouette  so its a fn project
if it stops being fun it wont get finished  :look:

Offline Lin

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 06:10:41 AM »
yeah I do it like Rege and place the nodes at key places and then bend.. unless they are going to cross each other then I do it like TeeJay... and yup use the alt key a lot..

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
I use the Polygon mode for almost all of my vectors.  I can just click where I want the lines, then when done, I grab the node tool and drag the lines into place where I want them.  I have tried the Pen mode and the Smart mode but always make a mess.   Sometimes though, I do convert the polygon mode to a Smart Curve, then use the handles to adjust it... and of course, the ALT key so both sides of the handle don't move things.

I never could get the hang of those smart curves!   :cancan:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)