Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Easy Way to Create Styles  (Read 547 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

Easy Way to Create Styles
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
I don't have any actual images to post but I did come across a very easy way to create styles from your own tiles.  I had some that I wanted to use as Styles but I have forgotten how to do it (old age).  So, I kept trying different things and hit a real simple method.  Just follow the steps below:

1.  Open a New Document in AD (any size). Adjust the window so it only takes up about half of your screen.

2.  Open the Styles panel in AD.  Click the menu and select Add Styles Category. Once done, rename it to a name of your choice.

3.  Open the folder on your hard drive that has the files you want to use to create your styles.  Adjust the window so you can see both your tiles and AD.

4.  Select the files on your hard drive that you want to use as styles.  CTRL + A will select all of them or you can hold down the Shift key and select only those you want.

5.  Use your mouse to drag the selected tiles from the  hard drive and drop them into AD.   If you have a lot of them, they will overlap the document and spill out into the pasteboard.  Just use the Move tool to drag  them into the document. They don't have to be in any sequence and they can all overlap one another.

6.  In AD, press CTRL+A again to select all of the tiles (if they are not already selected), right-click and select Convert to Curves from the popup menu.

7.  Right-click again and select Create Style

Now, just sit back and wait a few seconds and in the blink of an eye, all of your files will be converted into styles. If you have a large bunch of tiles, it will take a little longer but be patient.  It does work!!

I would suggest that you try it with like 6 tiles fir the first time so you can get the hang of how it works.  I created a LOT of styles today and it only took a few minutes at most.

Enjoy!  :cheergirl:

Offline San

Re: Easy Way to Create Styles
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »
 :wow3: this is so easy  I wish I knew this last week but I still have more I want to create from PI.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
Thanks, San!  As I said, I came across this quite by accident because I had forgotten how to do it. I was creating a rectangle, then going via the bitmap to open them into the rectangle.  Very time consuming. So, I tried dragging in a bunch and to my surprise, that part worked but they wouldn't create styles.  Then, something in my memory clicked and I remember that if you open the squares straight in, you must convert to curves.  You don't have to do that if you open them into a pre-drawn rectangle.  Anyway, once I did that, they all popped into the Styles area!

I have a lot that I want to do as well... some denim, leather, animal prints and such.  That will be my next project!!

Has to get a little cooler first.  Right now, it's 103F which is HOT!   Have fun making styles!! :cheergirl: :cheergirl: :cheergirl:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 12:21:32 AM »
thanks you for this one ...it makes it an easy and fun thing to do
by the way do you know if tribillions of styles will slow AD down.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 03:47:58 AM »
 :thanks06: ML, Going to try NOW  :smiley01:

Offline San

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »
I wonder the same thing Teejay but when I make my styles I export them into a folder which I am glad I do because something happen once on A D  and I lost them all so I was glad I had them all in a folder.

So if it does slow it down  I can always delete some as I can always put them back seeing they are in a folder on my hard drive.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
that is a good idea san

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »
I can't imagine that it would.   I suspect we are only seeing a watered down sample in the Styles panel and that sample links to the actual image.  I know that's how PI did it. This way you could have thousands of things in your Easy Palette, which I did!  Virtually everything I ever made in PI was stored in my EP because I knew it was not the actual image.

I guess we could ask that in the Affinity forum to make sure.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)