Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Off screen issues - SherylC  (Read 72 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
Off screen issues - SherylC
« on: July 05, 2018, 12:21:05 pm »
Well, I have my computer back from the repair shop after it got stuck in a loop during the MS update but so much has changed. Now my desktop is too large for the screen, icons on both desktop and taskbar have moved too far to the sides and I can't see them. My Shut down button has disappeared.  Can't find any useful info on the net other than change the resolution. I have the resolution set to the recommended setting for my screen 23".  The tops of the internet pages (tabs) are too high so I can't see them. I've also run an sfc scanner using  Command Prompt, but the integrity is fine.  Gees, I spent most of the evening trying to resolve this without success....so frustrating! lol   

At least I have started reinstalling some programmes today.

Offline Rege

Re: Off screen issues - SherylC
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 01:06:12 pm »
Sheryl, if the monitor is old enough it may not be detected automatically. The display was certainly correct on the (recent) repair shop monitor, otherwise they would not have made it defective.
With Windows 10, right-clicking on the desktop and then clicking "Display Settings" allows the display settings (you may have already done so) and also allows you to detect the monitor if this has not been done automatically, this may help.

If you are on a Mac there is certainly a similar function.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:52:48 pm »
That's what I would advise too - change your display settings.  Let us know if that works for you.

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 05:31:20 am »
I've tried lowering the display resolution which helps but it is the incorrect resolution for the size of my monitor. I've always had it set to the recommended size of 1920 x 1090 without any issues but since it has come back from the repair shop, some icons are half off screen. Same with the taskbar, some icons are so far to the right and left that I can't access them.  Also tabs on internet pages are too high so I can't see them.

The monitor is a also a TV screen and now I wonder if that is causing the sizing issue.

Thanks Rege and MaryLou for your suggestions.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 05:42:21 am »
I would have complained to the repair shop! They have done something wrong!

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:37 am »
Update: I've rung the repair shop and they also suggested lowering the resolution. When I do that though I get a 2" border around my desktop which is dead space. Not sure what else to try but won't give up! lol 

Yes, that's a point Grethe, thanks. Think I'll give them a call.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 07:16:33 pm »
I would definitely take it back to where you had it repaired and insist that they fix it right.  That's what you're paying for.  There is so little quality in the work that people do today.  They should have checked it before giving it back to you.  Good luck with it!

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 10:33:48 am »
They did offer to take a look at if but that would mean being without my pc for another few days as they are so busy. They already had it for a week prior to that and I got it back just before my holiday, so too busy to check it over then.  If I can't resolve it then I will take it back.  What a nuisance.

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 11:02:02 am »
OMG I fixed it. My tv doubles up as a pc monitor and as suspected thought the issue might be something to do with the scaling. Once I found out how to check the scaling I was able to lower it slightly and hey presto everything is back to normal. Here's a screenshot just in case it happens to anyone else.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 02:00:04 pm »
Good for you!!  Glad you figured it out.  I can't imagine using my TV for a PC screen though.  I should try that - I have a 24" TV that I'm not using.  Life is good when everything works!!  :praise53:

• Staff
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 07:40:39 am »
I am so pleased to have got to the bottom of it MaryLou.  It's handy having the tv double up as a monitor. It's a good size for my poor eyesight 28". 

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)