Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Affinity Designer for the iPad  (Read 89 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

Affinity Designer for the iPad
« on: July 17, 2018, 01:43:06 pm »
It's not only Affinity Publisher development that has been keeping the Affinity programmers busy, but also Affinity Designer for the iPad, which has just been released. Here is a video which does a good job of introducing this new Mac app:

Link to Video

Offline MaryLou

Re: Affinity Designer for the iPad
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:51:20 pm »
I'll pass on this one since I don't have an iPad and never will have one.   :laugh1:

I was aware that this was in development because I was invited to take part in the beta but...  no iPad!  I've never seen a real iPad but I guess they're very popular!  I can't imagine doing graphics on a little screen though. :yes03:

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 05:13:32 pm »
I don't have any interest in getting an iPad either, MaryLou, but I found it very interesting to see how working in Affinity Designer would be using your fingers instead of a mouse!

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 12:47:00 pm »
I could never get used to that, Lynn.  I'm far too mouse oriented and this old dog is too old to change.  My laptop has a pad where you just use your finger but I get so frustrated with it so I go back to my mouse.  It also has a touch screen, as does my desktop computer but my arm gets too tired holding it up to draw with my finger.  I'd rather lay my hand on the mouse and just relax.
I am using the  on screen keyboard to type this directly on the screen. Very awkward.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 03:36:17 pm »
I am very happy using just my mouse and my Wacom pen tablet. I hope that they don't force us to go to touch and gestures at some point.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 01:00:30 am »
i have an Asus notebook  the keyboard detaches so you end up with a big tablet
it is touch and has a pen..
i play with AD with the pen directly onto the document and i have to tell you it is awesome i mean REALLY good
the draw back is when i want a right click or some menu options dont work so well with the pen,  then it gets too frustrating but i keep having a play its magic when it works.

Offline Lin

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 05:38:13 am »
no I pad here either.. have a tiny little Fire tablet that I hardly ever use.. and that's way too small for AD, even if I could get it on there.. MaryLou, I can't work the touch pads on laptops either .. lol absolutely no control for me...  and I don't have a laptop at the moment anyway as my son killed mine lol.. it was way old anyway.. maybe someday in the future I will get one, but need a large one as there is no way I can host tourneys on a 15 inch one.  I need 2 browsers up at the same time and be able to see both at once lol. 
the tablet with the pen sounds like it might be fun to play with though.   

Offline Linda2

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 06:11:13 am »
I have 2 iPads at the moment. One really old one that is slowly dying, and I bought a new one last year.  I use the new one a lot because it is easy to cart around with me. I read on it , play games, keep up with the local/national news, message back and forth with family. I really have no trouble navigating around with the touch but I do not have AD/AP on either one and at this point cannot see the need for it.  I do hope that touch only does not become the norm on my desk units either.  I am very content with keyboard/Wacom pen tablet that I have now.  If touch only does become the norm I will probably be too old or senile to care about it anyway.

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 07:29:15 pm »
I've been using a mouse for far too many years to switch over to touch.   I have tried but it's just so awkward!!   I have an ASUS  notebook but the lid doesn't come off.  It has a touch pad which I have turned off because I use a mini mouse with it.  It also has a touch screen.  My ASUS desktop also has a touch screen but I don't touch it because it leaves finger prints and chocolate smears. I also have an ASUS tablet that's touch only.  I seldom use it anymore. Don't have much use for it.  It has the android OS.  And of course, there's the cell phone but that's WAY too little to even think about drawing with it.    And lastly, I have my Wacom tablet.  I don't use it fro graphics though - but it's awesome for playing games!   :laugh1:

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 06:27:01 am »
Thanks Lynn. I just cannot take to drawing/painting on my Ipad...no good at it at all! lol   I love looking at the work produced by the amazing Artists who can draw using their fingers though.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)