Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Here we go again! - SherylC  (Read 121 times)

Offline SherylCTopic starter

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
Here we go again! - SherylC
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:11:19 am »
New kitchen is complete and walls painted. Now the painters are back in to paint the entire house internally.  More mayhem of having to shift stuff from one room to another in order for the painters to get on with it.  On top of that we're pulling up all the carpets from stairs, landing and bedrooms ready for the new carpets to be laid. Thankfully we don't have any carpets downstairs apart from a rug or two. My house is once again upside down and inside out, in complete disarray but at least I can use the kitchen. Trying to keep calm and focus on the end result!

Chris & I could get jobs with Picfords Removals at the end of it all!  :yay:

Offline Grethe

Re: Here we go again! - SherylC
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 07:54:06 am »
Goodheavens! You must have endless of energy!  :smiley01:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:37:19 pm »
Actually, it sounds like fun!!  I've pretty much completed my remodeling and keep looking for things I can update but... everything's already been updated over the last 4 years.   It's so nice to have it done with though, then you can just sit back and enjoy!!! :yes03: :yes03:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 11:00:34 am »
I am running out of steam Grethe.

That's what I am trying to visualise MaryLou, the end result. Can't wait to put my feet up and admire the updates. Seems a long way off right now but getting there.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 07:18:03 pm »
I still sit back and admire my updates.  Just the other day, I was remembering back to my childhood. We had no indoor plumbing so we went outside to the outhouse when we had to use the bathroom.  In the summer, we bathed in the creek that ran behind the house and in the winter, my mother put a big tub of water behind the heating stove so we could take a bath.

I look around now and I have 3 indoor sinks with running water and two toilets! I shake my head in wonder when I compare then and now. I get compliments every time someone different comes into my home. One lady who has been here many times still tells me how much she loves my place. That always makes me feel good.   I am even more proud because I did almost all of it myself.  It took a lot of years, but it was so worth it!  You'll love yours too once it's all done.  :praise53:

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 11:57:22 am »
That's a good way of looking at it MaryLou. It sure makes one appreciate what they have. I've been keeping up with your posts over the years regarding updates and I agree, your home is beautiful and very inviting. 

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 06:50:34 pm »
Thanks, Sheryl - I should go back and update my remodeling web pages.  I still have all the old photos from how it looked when I bought it and how it looks now.  Maybe I'll take that on as a winter project.   The one thing I really appreciate is hot running water!    I also have two bath tubs!  Sure beats those old round galvanized tubs!!  And.. a washer and dryer.  So much nicer than washing clothes and diapers on a board.  Sometimes, I feel like I have too much but then I think, I deserve it!! :laugh1:

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 11:10:38 am »
Two bath tubs....do you use for weekdays and the other for weekends? LOL   As for showers, well when I was a child a shower meant standing in the backyard in the pouring rain without an umbrella.

Exactly, I've worked all my life and paid my taxes, so don't beat myself up too much, Hubby too. Rebecca is following our lead. I am very appreciative nevertheless as it's easy for anyone to fall on hard times. 

There are some fantastic developments where progress is concerned. Some not so good! lol

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 07:19:00 pm »
LOL!!  NO...  I hate bath tubs!!  The one in the guest bath has glass doors on it so the guest can either shower or sit in the tub.  In my bathroom, the tub is on one side of the room and the shower on the other.   I have used my tub about 3 times in the 14 years I've been here and two of those times were to give Daisy a bath.  I don't like to sit in water.   Even in the shower, I don't want the water coming down on my head.  I have two shower heads, one is fixed in place, the other is hand held. That's the one I use.  I don't shower in hot water either - just tepid is fine.  When using hot water, the steam builds up and it takes my breath away.

I don't recall ever seeing a shower as a child.  Now that I think of it, I never had a shower in the home until probably the late 70's or so.   I tend to spoil myself because if I don't, who will?  :yes03:

There is one thing I still want  and just might get it before I die.  I want a piano. I haven't played in many years and now my fingers are too stiff to do anything more than maybe play Chopsticks but.. it doesn't matter.  When I was a pre-teen, someone gave me an old piano so I could take lessons.  I loved that old thing.  However, my stepdad got sick and we had a pretty cold winter the next year and my mother chopped up the piano to use for wood in the stove so we could keep warm.  That totally broke my heard. Always said I'd get another one but the opportunity never arose. Had a few keyboards over time, but that's just not the same.  That's about the last thing on my bucket list.   :cheergirl: :cheergirl:

• Staff
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 12:15:46 pm »
LOL. I take a bath if I am going through a spell of not sleeping well. I pour a few drops of Lavender, Frankincense and Sandalwood Essential Oils (three favourites) into a bath of warm to hot water and that does the trick. I'm usually away with the fairies when my head hits the pillow.  I take showers mostly for convenience but not a huge fan of them. Appreciate that they are probably healthier than bathing.

Oh treat yourself to a Piano....why not?. I always had a piano as a child and took music lessons with the Royal School of Music, London for 5 or so years. Unfortunately the piano got sold with the house many years ago. I stopped playing the piano for almost 40 years until I purchased a Keyboard several years ago and got back into it. A keyboard is a compromise but you are right, it doesn't come close to the magnificent sound of a Piano.   

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 07:56:08 pm »
I keep looking on a few pages on a site called Nextdoor where people post things for sale or free stuff.  Have seen several pianos but not quite what I was looking for.  Truth be known, I'd LOVE to have a player piano! That's what I had as a kid and it was fascinating to watch that roll of paper make the keys on the keyboard work.  When the time is right, it will happen.  Always does :)
 :praise53:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)