Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: How do I emboss? Grethe  (Read 164 times)

Offline GretheTopic starter

How do I emboss? Grethe
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:10:46 am »
The question is for both AD and AP.
I have some background I would like to use as embossed textures on my images. But I can't find out how to do it. I can make them in PSP, but will really LOVE to use AD/AP.
See examples:
The image I want to make embossed first and then how it came out in PSP (which I want to do in AD/AP)

Offline Linda R

Re: How do I emboss? Grethe
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:05:27 am »
I did this in AP, I duplicated your image, did Filters, Sharpen, High Pass and play with the slider.  Then I duplicated the layer and it seems to make it a bit sharper.  It's not quite the same as PSP but it might work???

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 11:38:49 am »
I was thinking about the same. Could be the solution, Linda. But as you see, it is not as sharp on the edges. It might work on some of the images.
Keep digging into it.  :yes03:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 04:39:52 pm »
I bet Teejay can do that.  She is very good at getting results.  I'm still trying to figure out how to make an image desaturated in AD and not having much luck.  So, I use PagePlus because that's where I'm usually working. 

The one done in PSP is very sharp and clear.  You can probably get a good answer by posting this in the Serif forum too.
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 10:35:33 pm »
Thanks for replying, ML. Yes, I also thought about Serif Forum, but wanted to ask here first.
It is the sharpness that I feel important, I want the lines to pop out..
Perhaps Teejay knows? She knows a lot!  :smiley01:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 01:09:37 am »
mmmmmmmmmm

In Photo
go to Filters/Colour/emboss   :laugh1:

and tweak the settings ... i didnt play much cos have workmen in ... :smiley01:

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 03:00:11 am »
shut up then!!  :laugh1: :laugh1:  :congrats04: 
OK, it works on some images, so I go for that!  :praise53:
Some times you think and re-think and have nightmares....and the solution is right in front you………….

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 03:55:23 am »
i KNEW you would make me laugh and you did ... :laugh3:

have you played with the Displace...

this isnt the same grethe but you can make awesome textures and  make an image look so different

have an image with lots of contrast open in your AP ...then go  Filters/Distort/Displace

when the settings box pops up choose ' Load map from file'   and browse to a any image or texture bitmap you want to apply

the higher you tweak the setting the more i like it... and if you dont like the file you picked just click the 'load map from file' to choose another
 you can get some GORGEOUS textures
and weird looking images . x

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 06:11:18 am »
Thanks for the tips about AP. It is so much to explore!  :praise53: And I like to learn something new....Keep my mind and brain alive!  :yes03:

Offline Linda R

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 10:20:48 am »
 :omg:  Teejay you have so many tricks up your sleeve and wonderful info in your brain!!!  I was playing with all kinds of stuff trying to figure this out and never noticed the word Emboss!!!!   :laugh3:
So Thank You cuz now I learned some more new things today!!   :yeah:
Thank You Grethe for asking the question!!!   :yes03:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 11:06:43 am »
i really like your softer emboss look tho warpy

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 05:26:59 pm »
 :praise53: :praise53: :praise53:   I KNEW Teejay would figure it out!!!!   I'm not an AP user yet (although I have it) and I seldom do anything with photos but this is good to know!  I might even have a play!!   :wtg:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)