Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Desaturate  (Read 42 times)

Offline TeejayTopic starter

Desaturate
« on: August 03, 2018, 05:19:31 am »
ML  what do you mean by desaturate ...show us a before and after and i will have a bit of a play.

Offline MaryLou

Re: Desaturate
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 04:35:54 pm »
Teejay,  in PI, I go to Hue and Saturation and  set the saturation to zero which removes all the color and leaves me with a grayscale image.  I do that a LOT for the newsletter.  I  load up a dozen images in PI, then just go through all of them, desaturate, and save. Very fast, very efficient.  I don't even have to save because it asks if I want to save the image so I click yes.  I can't figure out how to do that in AD.  I'm sure you know what I mean without an example but I'll attach a before and after anyway.  You can see what I did to my arm today!  I got a boo-boo!  Ran into the end of a metal railing.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:06:33 am »
Oh my god ...that cut looks really BAD  are you ok ... That is going to take a bit of healing

Offline Grethe

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 01:54:08 am »
Say the same as Teejay! I hope the wound will heal fast! Looks awful and painful.

Desaturate: AD/AP adjustment and B/W fast and easy!  :smiley01:

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 01:59:34 am »
ok ... i think i have it
this is how i would do it.

open a new doc .
use 'Place' to select as many images as you like at once to open in your document

now are you ready for this....

select the  document and go to the document settings

change the colour format  to greyscale 16

you have all your images b/w
 when you are done you can return the doc to rgb16 if needed

i really hope this is what you wanted but if not...i will try again. x

hope that arm is healing.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 05:48:03 pm »
You aren't supposed to look at my booboo - it's the saturation! :laugh1:

I probably should have gone in to the emergency room for stitches but it was really bleeding a lot so I used a few bandaids to close the gap.  It's going to take a bit of time to heal because there's a small chunk missing from the center of the crack.  Had so many things I wanted to do today but my body is not cooperating.  It's "shaky" inside and all I want to do is sleep.  Also found a large bruise on my knee when I woke up today.  Must have banged that on the metal step.  In other words, I'm a wreck today!

I tried your solution (AD) but cannot find the Document Settings.  It's probably just me because I don't feel well.  Will tackle this another day.  Going to sleep a bit more

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 12:35:43 am »
oh good god .....a chunk missing...feeling green and fainty just thinking about it
Yes you shouldve gone for stitches but it isnt too late to do that you know..it will save it getting infected and it will hurt at first but will be more comfortable much quicker ...  would you be able to drive with that...

this is for when you feel like it or need a distraction
i shouldve said the document set up ... DOH i am so dense at times

click on the document in the workspace to select it and on the context toolbar you should see this
click it and it will take you to your document set up with all the settings.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 02:13:04 pm »
Ahhh... that works!  I clicked on the image, not the document which is why I couldn't find it.  It does a very nice job of  it too!!  I like the results but it's still more awkward to use than PI.  The difference is, PI lets me open all the images at once whereas AD makes me place each one.   I like that AD auto converts them all to gray scale upon import so  those two things even out.  In PI, I have to convert each one separately. 

The biggest problem with AD now would be an efficient way to save each image.  In PI, I only  have to click "close" to close the entire program and it will ask me if I want to save each image to which I just sit and click Yes and it saves using the same name.

With AD,  it wants to save the entire document and not each individual image. To do that, I have to export, then select "without background" and then give it a new name.   If I could find a way around that, it would be nice!!  Here's an example of how AD converts an image:   The gash is looking better today.  I held it together with bandaids until it started to heal.  Was sick most of yesterday (jittery inside) but slept almost all day and night. Today, I can type again without pain and am on the mend.

Offline Joy

• to-day is a perfect day-dont upset me
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 12:30:21 am »
hope you are feeling a little better, still best to go to doctor....

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 05:38:13 am »
see... now joy has said it you have got to go  and get it seen to or else you will be for it...

just do it ..i feel poorly just thinking of it...

You will be pleased to know you can open more than 1 image at a time in ad ..you must have a document open in your workspace first (it doesnt matter what size)

there are two ways i know of doing this.

you can open your File explorer browse to your images hold ctrl  and click on the images you want and drag them into ad

or
you can go to .... File/Place   browse and hold Ctrl and click on the images you want and click open

both ways  bring all the chosen images in one document at once .

to export and save on mass and not one at a time.

go to the Export persona.

click on the layers panel first and select all the images you want to export

then click the Slices panel  and   click the export preset
choose the jpg or the png setting

next hide the Backround layer .
then click  export slices

you will then browse to a folder you want to save to and click export ...and thats it all will be croped to the size of the image and saved .

if you have trouble ..well you know where i am...lol xxx

this sounds a lot but it isnt. its easy and  there is no 'with or without background' on every image  i use it quite a bit. .. hope this is what you need

Offline Rege

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 09:26:22 am »
Another way to desaturate multiple photos at once: as Teejay said, you can open multiple images at once in an already opened document by selecting them in the explorer and clicking open.

You can then desaturate them at once but for that you must group them first otherwise the desaturation will only be done on a single photo.

To do this, once the photos are grouped, "Layer", "New Adjusment", select "Black & White", adjust if necessary to adjust.

Thanks to Teejay for the one-time export method, I had not yet had the opportunity to export several photos.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline Rege

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 08:49:35 am »
Teejay, I would like to make a small point about exporting several photos or drawings at once.

The method you give is suitable if you want to export all the photos contained in a file.

If you do not wish to export all the drawings, once in "Draw Persona" and in the "Layers" tab, select only the photos to export then click on the button "Create Slice".

Then go to the "Slices" tab, the photos to export are marked.
Uncheck "Background" as you reported and click on the "Export Slices" button (the button indicates the number of files created at export).

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 10:56:29 am »
Yes you are right that is the way i select them  sometimes ..in my haste i forgot to put that in the info ...lol
thanks rege for clearing that up.  :brav01:

Offline Rege

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 11:15:40 am »
To be even clearer, let's add that we can select several files by using the "Ctrl/Cmd" key in the "Layers" tab and then press only once on the "Export Slices" button, contrary to what I show in my GIF.

Thanks again for allowing me to explore these features!

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 12:11:00 pm »
OMG. Looks like you need a few stitches in the deep cut MaryLou. Hope you are ok...looks very nasty. Take care as the last thing you want is an infection getting in.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)