Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Masks in AD?  (Read 145 times)

Offline Grethe

Re: Masks in AD?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 01:03:12 am »
Hmmmm I'd to try this later today! Like you, ML, I've tons of masks from PI-days

Offline Rege

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 03:06:59 am »
I saw Sheryl's message last night but I didn't understand what she was trying to do...

With the examples provided this morning I see more clearly, so I come after the battle since you have the solution but I still give you my way of proceeding.

I used a clipart (not very pretty it's true) and a color rectangle created in DrawPlus with a brush outline for the mask ("Stain" brush in " Outlines " in the "Brushes" tab, for those who own DrawPlus). I'm not sure my translation is correct. I exported the rectangle to image format (PNG 32 bits with transparency).

I placed the rectangle in AD. In the layers it is then enough to place the rectangle under the clipart and to mount it in the clipart layer until obtaining a blue vertical rectangle to the right of the thumbnail.

In my screenshot I used a clipart in image format (I could have put a picture) but it also works with WMF cliparts much more useful in AD because they are resizable without quality loss.

EDIT:

With this method there is no white around: see my second screenshot. I used two cliparts in WMF format.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline Grethe

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 03:47:26 am »
Here are mine 2 attempts on this. Linda, you can use the eraser in Pixel Persona to erase the line, I did that in the first image. Another thing I noticed, you have to group the mask and the image before you can put a background behind, the second shows with a contrasting colour for visibility.
I think I followed ML's way mostly (Sorry, I forget to take notes  :laugh2: )

Offline Grethe

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 03:58:45 am »
And then I tried Reges way. Shorter and easier! Thank you, Rege!

Offline Rege

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 04:06:29 am »
Thanks for the feedback, Grethe.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 04:55:14 am »
 :brav01: fabulous reg ..i couldnt get this to work at first but now it does thankyou.

now ... how would we create a mask with a semi transparemt areas
in psp we could have a greyscale mask from black to white and apply it to an image ...is this possible in ad ??

i will show you below
 the mask  the image and the effect on an image.

Offline Rege

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 06:39:00 am »
I tried to get close to what you're showing:

I placed the photo and drew over the circle that will serve as a mask. Put the circle in white and make a mask out of it.
I duplicated the circle and placed it on top of the layers then put an elliptical transparency, black in the center and white towards the outside. I applied a slight Gaussian blur to attenuate the edges.

In my screenshot I used a ring instead of a circle to make the center more visible.

There is a way to play with the different settings (Blend, Blend ranges) to modify the result.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 07:27:59 am »
thanks rege i do use the blend modes  to get the best results ..  so i will carry on doing it that way ...cheers.  :congrats04:

Offline Rege

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 07:41:57 am »
I did some tests and for the most part I don't remember how I proceeded because I didn't notice as I went along!  :duh: We can, among other things, also play with the opacity of the layers to refine the drawing ...

Offline SherylCTopic starter

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 08:30:53 am »
Yes, the ones below are more what I have in mind, thank you all for the tips, trials and so on. Creating Masks in PI was very easy, and is easy in PSP and PS too. From what I recall you can only create masks out of images with transparent backgrounds. Also I recall that painting with White brings back detail and Black erases detail.

Beautiful results below. Rege your result reminds me more of a Vignette...lovely, that's another challenge! lol 

Offline Linda R

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 10:28:39 am »
My last 2 cents worth here, instead of using black to white gradient, use the black to transparent gradient and the erase blend mode. 
This has been a great learning experience and fun to see how many ways there are to do this!

• Staff
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 06:01:38 am »
Oh that flowery Sweet Pea one is a nice result Linda and very effective. Yes, it's great fun making these.

I never got around to making many Masks in the past so not that familiar with them to explain clearly. I'll see if I can find one that would explain it better than I. 

• Staff
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2018, 12:14:54 pm »
Don't shoot me for posting something I created in PS but posting this just to show what I mean by "masking". I created the brushed frame (rough edges), just a quickie so not as good as it should be, saved it as a transparent png file then placed a photo inside and clipped it to Layer.  I am trying to figure out how to do this in AD. Found this link to create a mask overlay but not quite the same thing.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+create+layer+masks+in+affinity+photo&docid=608021729286423079&mid=7F990B2D0F8626360D147F990B2D0F8626360D14&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

Offline Rege

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2018, 12:46:51 pm »
Sheryl, I think the answer to your question has already been given, I made you a small explanatory GIF.

The mask (the oval with a serrated border) is a PNG file with a transparent background.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 12:57:18 pm »
It is not clipping, so what is it called?

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)