Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Masks in AD?  (Read 337 times)

Offline MaryLou

Re: Masks in AD?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2018, 03:27:56 pm »
Reggie, I did it the same way you do and it works perfectly.  The hard part is finding that exact spot where you can get the image to show like that.    I don't think I'd call that clipping, as Grethe said so what would you call it?   It works great with a simple mask... going to try it on a really ornate one to see what happens.
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Grethe

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 05:23:01 am »
A little closer to the solution, folks?
Did take notes this time.... :yes03:
From Select->Select Sample Colour->Invert Selection
And then like Rege.

As you can see, the photo itself got a little transperency, but it is one step closer, isn't it?

Add the photo and the frame

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 11:43:57 am »
Grethe, I would have done that just the opposite - invert the mask. The dark areas are the parts you want to hide.   I think masks are going to give me a headache!  :laugh1:

I used your mask and your photo and this is how mine came out. 

Offline SherylCTopic starter

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 11:54:58 am »
Thank you Rege, that is very clear and almost what I have in mind. the result I am trying to get has transparency or fading around the inner or outer edges. There must be a way of doing this using your method.  I shall give it a try.

Grethe, the Black frame is more or less it but in reverse wo that the transparent edges are on the outside.

MaryLou, yes that's exactly what I am looking to do in AD. Did you follow Rege's method and tweak it?

I may have saved all the PI Masks somewhere on my pc. It would be fantastic if we could import/use them in AD.

• Staff
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 12:04:47 pm »
Got it. I was placing the image (this is how I used to do it in PI)  rather than opening the image, which doesn't work quite the same way in AD.  So I followed Rege's method of creating and saving a mask in .png. Opened it in the AD workspace along with an image and moved the image underneath the mask as the .gif example.   

Thanks all. :)

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 12:12:24 pm »
I found that using masks from PI, it works great if you save the selection rather than the mask itself.  On the one below,  I opened PI, dragged one of the masks to a blank image. That puts just the selection on the blank image.  Then saved the selection as a .png.

In AD, I clipped the image inside of the selection.  This is the result.. worked perfectly.  It looks like there are many ways to reach the same goal - it depends on what we use as a mask.   I rather like the selection method. Going to play with this a bit more.

Offline Rege

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 12:15:28 pm »
Sheryl, by putting elliptical transparency on the mask, we may be getting close to what you're looking for. Set the transparency according to the desired result.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline Rege

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 12:17:21 pm »
MaryLou, I admit I don't really care about naming this operation!  As it is non-destructive it is indeed not a "cut". This poses a problem if you want to keep a mask with its colors to use it on another photo or drawing because it loses its characteristics if you copy or export it: as soon as it is separated from its photo it keeps only its shape.

I did different tests with a shape with "tortured" contours and it works well.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline Grethe

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 12:22:40 pm »
Grethe, I would have done that just the opposite - invert the mask. The dark areas are the parts you want to hide.   I think masks are going to give me a headache!  :laugh1:

I used your mask and your photo and this is how mine came out.
You got it just what I wanted. Perfect!  :smiley01:
Now...what did I do wrong? I'm in limbo!  :laugh1:
Guess I've to wait for a really, really tutorial….. :praise53:

• Staff
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2018, 05:20:50 am »
That transparent image is very much like it Rege except that the outer edges only of the mask is transparent. Thanks for all the efforts. :)

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)