Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: Affinity Publisher Beta  (Read 270 times)

Offline TeejayTopic starter

Affinity Publisher Beta
« on: August 30, 2018, 05:35:04 am »
for those that maybe interested i have just downloaded the beta publisher ..yeeeeeeeeeeehaw.

Offline Linda2

Re: Affinity Publisher Beta
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 06:00:18 am »
Yes, me too.  I have no idea why I did because I don't think I will actually be using it much.  I think it was just my feeble mindset of " well, here it is, free for a time, give it a go " .  Who knows, I may surprise myself and find some use for it after all.  Anyway....stay tuned....

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 06:47:36 am »
Thinking the same way as Linda2....I used to create a website some years ago, I liked it, but times has changed and so has the technologi...I stopped.

Offline Majse

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:56:43 am »
I am still with Sharepoint Designer 2007  :laugh1: I could use something new. Thanks for info

Offline Linda R

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 09:15:10 am »
Just grabbed my copy!  I love to play with software!  It might work good for designing my cards! 

Offline Grethe

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 09:19:31 am »
Nice to see you again, Majse!  :smiley01: It is always exciting with something new!  :yay:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 06:49:00 pm »
I downloaded it this morning but have not had a chance to play with it for more than a few minutes.  I use Serif's PagePlus which is excellent and full of features.  I doubt that the Affinity Publisher will measure up.   One thing that I like is, it does load fast!  I wish AD did!  It's sort of like when we went from DrawPlus to AD.  DrawPlus had it all, AD is still behind.  I can see A Publisher is the same way.  Has a long way to go to compare with PagePlus.

I guess we have to keep in mind that programs are in their infancy and have lots of room for growth.  I do like that the included the option to use the light interface. :cheergirl:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 01:18:14 pm »
I played with APub for a bit earlier today and it's very much like AD and AP.  If you have a .pdf file, open it in aPub so you have something to play with.  You can edit it as much as you want.  It does an excellent job on importing PDF's   The the features I use a LOT in my Desktop publishing is converting images to black and white (the printer doesn't do color) and adjusting the darkness, and removing white backgrounds.  I can use adjustments to go B&W but have not found a way to remove backgrounds yet.

Overall, It's starting out to be a pretty good program!  Time will tell once I create an entire document.  If you're writing a tut, try it!   The options to switch to AD and AP are not active but that in itself will be a huge help. I like how they will be able to interact with one another . :brav01:

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 01:41:44 pm »
have you had a chance to check ouut the videos yet there are only 16 short little bites of really good info...bet you know how to do most of it but i found them excellent.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 01:53:04 pm »
could you use the blend options to delete the white background like we do for masks.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 01:54:37 pm »
I tried to look into it a bit this evening, I really want to learn more about this. Will look at the videos tomorrow. Not more tonight, I almost fell asleep in front of the monitor!  :laugh1:
Good night, my friends.  :yes03:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 09:26:31 pm »
Teejay, I went through the first four but the things he talked about were standard desktop publishing things.  I do it the same way in PagePlus.  So, I skipped down to the last one to see how page numbers are done.  Very nice - easier than PagePus.   I will eventually watch all of them just so I don't miss something.

I do feel he should not have started with the assumption you're making facing pages.   That mucks it up for those who are new to this stuff.   I've been doing DTP for about the last 28 years so this is coming pretty easy to me.    You should try it for writing a tut.  When I get some time, I want to make a template for our tuts to use in APub.  Bottom line - I like it!!  Maybe that's because I won't have to work hard to learn it!   :laugh1:

Offline Majse

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 02:38:18 am »
Thanks, Grethe. I love this group but as most of you I don't have enough hours. And since the last windows update I have no sound on my computer GRRRR - can't do much now if not written tutorials

I haven't got the publisher yet, but I think it is very interesting  :smiley01:

Offline Grethe

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 03:18:56 am »
Majse, I don't hear what they are saying in the video tutorials, I only follow the pointer and text if it is there. And I also slow down the speed to 0,75 or even 0,50. I don't use the sound on my computer most of the time.

If you want sound, check the settings, could be there….or take the wires out and put them in again, that might help too.

Offline Majse

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 04:08:57 am »
I have tried settings, updated drivers etc. I remember Lynn had the same problem. I think I have tried everything and I am just waiting for Windows to bring an update that will fix it LOLL

I have problems following videotutorials - I can't jump from screen to screen. It is too confusing and I have forgotten everything after half a second  :laugh1:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)