Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: California Fires  (Read 125 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

California Fires
« on: November 13, 2018, 06:33:20 pm »
Majse, the fires are terrible.  We aren't in any danger in my area because the fires are about 80 or so miles above us.  The problem is, we are in a valley and all that smoke and ash hangs in the clouds that hang over the valley.  Our air is really bad right now.  The back of my throat and my eyes both feel it - I haven't opened a door because I don't want any more in here than is already here.  I keep a ceiling fan going to help circulate the air.  I should NOT complain.  I think the latest count of deaths in Paradise is 48 and there have been over 6,450 homes burned to the ground.  It is so sad. I can't watch it on TV. 
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Majse

Re: California Fires
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:43:29 pm »
It is very sad - I feel for you and all the animals. I would be so scared if it was close to me. We see it in the news every day and my heart reaches out for you

Offline San

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:41:40 am »
Fires are always bad where ever they are but what we have seen on TV these are terrible and very sad to see.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:43:50 pm »
Keep that skinny butt inside and safe ML

Offline SherylC

• Staff
  • Silliness makes your soul smile!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 01:16:49 pm »
My goodness...terrible fires again over the pond. Sad for families of all those people who have perished....52 I believe. Glad to hear you are away from them MaryLou,

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 05:42:28 pm »
The death toll is up to 63 now with hundreds of people still missing.  I try and NOT watch it too much, it's just too sad and depressing.

Good Will put out a message that if people come into their store with proper ID, they can have what they need for clothing.  That was good of them because as a rule, they do not help anyone.   :thumb3:

Offline Majse

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 05:56:59 am »
I don't want to think about the panic, the pain etc. - poor people and animals

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 06:48:47 pm »
Me either!!!     This is the latest news: 

The blaze that began on Nov. 8 all but razed the town of Paradise, population 27,000, and heavily damaged the outlying communities of Magalia and Concow. It destroyed more than 9,800 homes and, at its height, displaced 52,000 people. The cause of the fire was not immediately known. The blaze was said to be 50 percent contained.

Only 50% contained!!   That means, it's got a long way to go before people are safe.   I have to put some of the blame on our governor.  There is tons of dry brush in between the trees and many dead trees in the forests that should have been removed.  Dry brush can create one heck of a fire.  People wanted to clean it out and sent a bill to the governor to mandate that the forest floor and dead trees to be removed.  However, the governor refused to sign it.   Years of dead brush.    He stood on the side of the environmentalists who argued that the dry brush and such was natural and should not be disturbed.  Now we see the results.

So many people dead - so many people who lost everything they had, many were not insured.  It's hard to start over when you have nothing but the clothing on your back, which was the case for many.

The things they needed most in the shelters were warm socks, under ware, pajamas, and hygiene products.  People have been donating a lot but they still need a lot more.

Offline Majse

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 02:15:38 am »
Is firebelts the right word? I hope this will never happen again. Anywhere!

Offline SherylC

• Staff
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 11:08:15 am »
Terrible...death toll is even higher according to todays news. Very sad. According to reports, Mr Trump initially blamed the Forest Commissioners for allowing the fires to get out of hand i.e. not maintaining the forests...well that was until he visited the areas and saw for himself the seriousness of the situation and became contritious….always shuts the door after the horse has bolted! 

Offline Andrea Christine

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 10:31:55 pm »
It's a dreadful calamity and we're praying for the involved persons. Fire is a ruthless adversary -  it's terrible

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 08:50:19 pm »
Sheryl, that's not quite the story.  The people here wanted to clear out the dead brush and trees from the forest.  They introduced a bill into our state Congress but when the bill got to the governor's desk, he refused to sign it.  He said the forest should be left untouched.  That is why the fires were able to spread so quickly - the dead underbrush was dry and brittle and perfect for fires.  If he had signed that bill, the environmentalists would have cleared out all that dead brush. 

Mr.Trump didn't want to allocate money to California because our governor announced that he did not want any help from Mr. Trump and that we could take care of our own.  The governor was wrong.  The problem here is that California is a Democratic state and hates that we have a Republican for a President and they will do anything to try and bring him down.  We are over-run with illegals who have crossed our borders but they aren't afraid because the governor has declared this a sanctuary state so they don't have to worry about being deported.  Look at the mess we're in now. There are over 5,000 Hatians and others from that area who are trying to rush our borders and break into the country.   There was a big fight today at the border between Mexico and California - a huge mob tried to break past the police.  The border was closed to all traffic.  They stand there and throw rocks at our police while carrying the flag of their country.  That's an invasion yet we cannot fight back.  It's a real mess.

Offline SherylC

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 08:06:11 am »
Ah I see, politics! lol. I hope the fires have been extinguished now. A terrible time for all those involved.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 01:14:11 pm »
We've had a bit of rain for the last few days so yes, the fires are all under control now.  Our other problem are those 6,000 migrants from El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras that are sitting on the Mexican border in Tijuana trying to storm our borders.  Just read today where there another thousand heading our way.    Someone really played these people. They were pretty much convinced that all they had to do was get to our borders and claim asylum, and we would let them in, find housing, feed them, send their children to school, and support them until they can get a job, etc.   Most do not speak our language to start with and at most, could not expect to make more than minimum wage which is not enough to support a family.  They bring diseases with them - they have not been vaccinated, and no telling what else.

According to international law, they must ask for asylum in the country of the first border they cross which would be Mexico. Most refused Mexico's offer to give asylum, home, and work because they want to get to the USA where they think it's the land of milk and honey.  They've been very mislead.  I feel sorry for them but they messed up when they did not accept Mexico's offers.  It's a mess down there on the border.  Sure glad I live in the Northern part!   

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)