Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage : PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery

Author Topic: My Side Yard  (Read 57 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

My Side Yard
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:05:06 pm »
For you folks who live in places where you cannot grow citrus, this is what it looks like down my side yard.  I planted each of these trees when they were only about 2 feet tall, and look at them now!! The oranges are seedless and oh so sweet! The grapefruit have a very thick skin.  Not all grapefruit do, it depends on the variety.  Lemons are lemons.. sour!!! Tangerines or Little Cuties as they are sometimes called are delicious but my favorites are the Tangelo's. They are a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit!  The skin just pops off like it does on the tangerine - real easy and you can tell them because they have sort of a "bell" on top.

It's hard to believe that it takes an entire year to grow a citrus fruit!  I certainly have more respect for it, knowing that!  Here are my trees as of this morning:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Linda R

Re: My Side Yard
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:52 pm »
That is so neat!  I would love to grow trees like that but they would not survive here!  Lol! 

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:52:59 pm »
That's true, Linda - they would not do well where it snows!!  I'm surprised they give off as much fruit as they do because the ground is so bad.  I think a lot of it is because I put in a drip system and they get watered the exact same amount at the same time every day. :xmas53:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:15:22 am »
Ohhhhhhh will you look at that. .... that is amazing

I was once in orlando in the 70s and saw an orange grove,  there was a store close by that sold oranges ....BIG HUGE oranges and they tasted heavenly .those were the very best oranges I ever had.
I wish I could reach out and taste those ...those trees love you.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:52:20 am »
 :wow3: That is amazing, ML. A lot of fruit for you, healthy and they tasts nice too. I can't grow citrus here, but I tried to have avocado indoor, no fruit, but at least it grows.  :lol02:

Offline San

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 11:21:42 am »
You are lucky to have great citrus trees with all that fruit.  I have never had any luck with citrus trees.

Offline Linda2

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 12:57:51 pm »
To quote (more or less)  from a  nursery rhyme....MaryLou, MaryLou, how does your garden grow?... :lol02:

Quite nice indeed from the looks of these fruit trees!!  You definitely have a green thumb.  They are fantastic.

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 09:51:58 pm »
The hard part is waiting for the fruit to become edible!!  It looks pretty and orange but up close, it still has a lot of green on it. I picked one of each today to test them out.  They are nice and sweet but will be even sweeter when fully ripe.  That will be at least another month.

my oranges are my favorite because they don't have seeds and are so sweet!  In all of the past years, each orange has weighted at least one pound!  The biggest one was 1.5 pounds.  They are much smaller this year due to the time of year that I trimmed the trees.  It needs to be done right after the last fruit is removed but it's usually raining at that time of year.

I will be thinking of all of you while I'm eating it.   :girl1: 

Offline Majse

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 09:56:20 am »
Nom nom - it looks so good, ML

I think the taste is very different from our imported lemons, oranges etc....? I would love to eat fresh grapefruits

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 10:25:07 pm »
I don't think anything you can buy in a store tastes as good as the stuff you grow yourself.  They put so much chemicals on things these days.  I wash any fruit that I buy because I don't know what it may have been sprayed with. I even wash the bananas because if there's any chemical stuff on the outside, it's still there when you peel the fruit.

I used to grow a pretty large garden with tomatoes, squash, peas, green beans and such but it is actually pretty expensive by time you buy some decent soil, then the seeds or seedlings and whatever else is needed.  I ended up giving away far more than I ate so I stopped gardening. :xmas61:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)