Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Closing AD  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Teejay

Re: Closing AD
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2018, 01:36:56 am »
that is what i am about to do  too ML

i would really love to cut the launch time down ... good luck

Offline Rege

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2018, 07:35:28 am »
Mary Lou, I may not understand what you mean, I'm sorry.

AD obviously does not list fonts not installed on the system, but it does allow you to use a temporarily loaded font and the name of this font appears in the drop-down window of the context bar.

I attach a screenshot showing AD in the background and Main Type on the top and right.
The Aardvarf Cafe is not installed but I just loaded it for this screenshot.
In the Main Type fonts list, the color of the circles in front of the fonts indicate their state: not installed, loaded or installed.

White circle: font not installed
Blue circle: loaded font
Green circle: make installed

You can see that the Aardvark Cafe font is simply loaded and is usable in AD and appears in the drop-down list of fonts.

I just tested it with DrawPlus and a loaded font is also available.

It is not AD or DP that do not allow the use of temporarily loaded fonts, but a third party program (a fonts manager) is required to allow them to work in this way.

PS:

Font managers also allow the use of fonts loaded in all software, for example word processing, spreadsheet....
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 06:35:50 pm »
Reggie, we are talking about the same thing.  We've done it this way for years with and without a font manager.   I never used a font manager until the last few years.

After experimenting a bit more, you are right, one MUST have a font manager of some kind to do it that way.  We can no longer simply open the font by clicking in it like we used to do.  But... this is aside from Teejay's question.  She has all those fonts installed.

I use a freebie called Font Runner 3.   :xmas45:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Rege

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 07:28:06 am »
I wonder if the operating system had something to do with it. I used Illustrator and Typograph until I switched from Windows XP to Windows 8 and I remember that it was enough to select a font in the font manager to be able to use it. After the switch to W 8 this was no longer possible (with the same software version).

For Teejay, regarding fonts installed by software, they can often be found on the installation CD (if there is one) or in the software folder in "programs files".
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline Teejay

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2018, 08:49:24 am »
ohhhhh thanks for that rege

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 03:24:38 pm »
Rege is right, a lot of the software that installs fonts put the font folder right there with the rest of their stuff. I grab those font folders and copy them to my own collection area, then when I remove the program, they can't delete the fonts I've saved.   I have tons of fonts that I've gotten that way.  Don't know what I'll ever do with them all because I always seem to go back to my favorites! :xmas70:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2018, 04:10:22 pm »
am going to start slow and steady  and save to my oersonal fonts and delete from the windows folder

if I go slow I have less chance if messing up I hope.  :yeah:

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2018, 11:37:54 pm »
It's really a difficult job because it may be a font that's used by something that you don't even know about like maybe CCleaner of some obscure program.  You cannot delete a system font though - it won't let you.

One thing you can do is open a window with your own fonts in it and open a second window to see if the font is in Windows. If it's in both places, you can get rid of the one in Windoes.  I've been promising myself to do that for years but here I sit... still not done!!

Offline Teejay

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2018, 01:47:10 am »
This sou ds like a good wY to start I have been scared to start for fear of making a hugev blunder
Yes the more I think aboutvit the more I like it
I will look fir duplicates   thanks so much

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2018, 08:12:30 pm »
Have fun!!!   I really need to do that too but don't have much concentration at the moment.  Good luck!!!

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)