Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Re:Bad Treament at AD forum -  (Read 499 times)

Offline MaryLou

Re:Bad Treament at AD forum -
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »
Well...  that's a good excuse to run around in my birthday suit!!!  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Linda2

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
 :whoo:   There she goes again....don't look Ethel.    :lol02:

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline San

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 12:53:29 PM »
 :omg:  :laugh2: :laugh2:

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 01:10:43 PM »
 :yes01: :yes01: :yes01:   That made my day!!!!!   Now I know I need to go on a diet!!!!   Toooooo  FUNNY!!!!!!!   :cancan: :cancan: :cancan:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
 :stpat07: I'm happy you got a smile ML.... :thumb3:

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline Mali

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »
Sorry to hear about your experience on the AD forum Rege. A little bit of respect and tolerance goes a long way and you certainly didn't get that.

I purchased AD from Serif only to find a week or two later they had ditched the programme. Not only did I waste my money but wasted my time learnng a programme that was destined for the archives. When I contacted Serif to ask about what I thought was an oversight on their part...i.e. taking money from customers in the knowledge that this programme was being ditched, I was unlucky to get the most abrupt and rude person possible. Careless attitudes when it comes to customer service is not good for business!.

So to sum up, either we got the same horrid agent or there are more than one horrid agents working at Serif!
Tomorrow is another day. Today is now, live it to the full!.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 12:33:30 AM »
That seems to be the norm with customer service.  Same thing happened to me some years back.  I paid $125 for a program that I had been wanting for a long time.  A week after I bought it, they discontinued it.  I  contacted the company and was promptly dismissed.  I bought it, it was mine.  I bought ALL of the Serif programs.  We did get one good year out of DrawPlus but that was it.  We could have kept on using it but who wants to write tutorials and such for a dead-end program?  I guess they have to make money somehow!

Offline RegeTopic starter

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »
Mali, I had the same experience as you with DP! Then when AD came out, I followed the forum for a while to see the comments and decided not to buy this so-called Illustrator replacement due to the number of features and tools. Then I changed my mind and told myself that my contribution could help (a little) a "young" company. Now time has passed and the software is still at almost the same level, it's really disappointing: with each update, it's only about fixing problems (which I've never encountered before!) and not new tools, even basic ones.
You're right, their careless and sometimes unpleasant attitude towards customers (not just me) demanding a tool and the lack of progress of the software has already scared some away and for my part I'm moving further and further away from this program. One thing is certain, I will no longer buy any software from SERIF.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
Rege, there are new things coming. The beta has some very nice new features.  I would much rather a program have a long beta than to just toss out some garbage.  I think they've accomplished trememdous things in the last few years.  Three new programs that run on two different platforms.  Two have been released and the third one will be soon.  I think once all three programs are on the market, we're going to see a lot of new features. 

You do realize that Affinity is not a new young company, right? Serif has been around for many years. They had it all when it came to programs - and all so inexpensive!   They all integrated well together.   Sometimes, a company can only go so for, then they have to change if they want to stay in business.  I think that's what Serif did - started a new branch that will serve far more people and will provide income for them.  Again, I think they've done a whole lot in the last few years. They keep the prices low which makes it even nicer.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »
Rege, there are new things coming. The beta has some very nice new features.  I would much rather a program have a long beta than to just toss out some garbage.  I think they've accomplished trememdous things in the last few years.  Three new programs that run on two different platforms.  Two have been released and the third one will be soon.  I think once all three programs are on the market, we're going to see a lot of new features. 

You do realize that Affinity is not a new young company, right? Serif has been around for many years. They had it all when it came to programs - and all so inexpensive!   They all integrated well together.   Sometimes, a company can only go so for, then they have to change if they want to stay in business.  I think that's what Serif did - started a new branch that will serve far more people and will provide income for them.  Again, I think they've done a whole lot in the last few years. They keep the prices low which makes it even nicer.

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 09:55:34 AM »
MaryLou, I agree with you, AD is already a very good program with a good price/quality ratio. I come up against the policy of SERIF which presented the Affinity range as a more than interesting alternative to Adobe, Corel, etc.
When we buy software, we want it to be operational right away, not years from now.

Adobe, Corel and other software has taken a long time to become what it is and continues to improve, with the constant addition of new features. At the beginning of these programs, the missing tools or functions did not bother anyone because they were not known.

However, now that we have been using these tools for a long time in these other software, their absence in Affinity has become incomprehensible to many people. It is not normal (always because we have used this function in other software) to have to switch to another software to draw directly (without having to tinker with one) a simple spiral for example.

To pretend to be better than others by having so many gaps is ridiculous. I'm not even sure they'll be better one day since their competitors are still evolving themselves. If there were not the subscription issue for Illustrator or Draw, Affinity would not be so successful.

Offline Mali

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
If the programme is cheap then it's more than likely to be lacking in some of the tools.  I understand that it is not viable for software companies to include all of the tools in the first few versions however, AD has progresses for some time now and Serif have still not included any of the addititonal tools that I and many other users, would like to see included.  The Warp Tool for example is just one.

Maybe Serif shoud consider doing what Corel and Adobe have done as below examples and let users decided which suits their requirements:-

For example Painter has all the tools you can think of but it very expensive. Painter Essentials has some of the more Essential tools, hence the cheaper price tag.
Another example, Adobe Photoshop, again very expensive. Photoshop Elements has some of the "more Essential" tools, hence the cheaper price tag.

Tomorrow is another day. Today is now, live it to the full!.

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »
Mali, DrawPlus also had a very good price/quality ratio and yet it was a relatively complete software even if it had some imperfections (but what software doesn't?).
SERIF could have delayed the launch of Designer in order to add the missing tools, especially since this software is more intended for professionals.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »
I'm a bit on the other side of the fence.  I fully believe all programs need to be beta tested before being released.  I would rather wait for it than to have it released only to find that too many things simply do not work.

Where I think Affinity went wrong was in coming out with Photo before Designer had a lot of really good tools, etc. The time spent on Photo could have gone into Designer to make it the best it can be before even considering Photo.  However, there's always the issue of money.  Coming out with Photo gave them a little upstart in that field.  In time, I have no doubt that they will have a very good suite of programs.  I'm sure when Adobe first released their programs, they were not full featured.  Not only that, you really can't compare the two products.  Adobe has been around for 29 years and Affinity is only a few years old.  Not only that, there's a HUGE difference in price.   I have no idea what Photoshop costs these days but it was over $500 when I got mine.   That's sort of like comparing a newborn to a college grad.  Just doesn't work.  I have faith that Affinity will turn out to be an okay program at an affordable price somewhere in the future.   :yes01: :yes01: :yes01:

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 11:51:02 PM »
Basically, I agree with you, but maybe I'm not expressing myself well.
When I used Illustrator 9, I thought it was wonderful and yet it was far from having all the tools it later received. So I didn't miss these tools. When I look at it now I wonder how I could have done anything with it and yet I was more creative than now.
Now, many years later, I miss these tools that have since been added to other software in Designer. I just think that SERIF could have done more in-depth Beta tests internally before launching this product, which still lacks basic functions.
Nevertheless, AD is already a very good software that is easy to use and will continue to improve like its competitors, although it will certainly still lag a little behind them if their development team remains small.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)