Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Change of name - MALI  (Read 63 times)

Online MaliTopic starter

Change of name - MALI
« on: March 06, 2019, 09:42:31 am »
Hi folks. Just to say that I now have a new name changed recently by Deed Poll to Mali.

Mali is Welsh for Molly.

Whilst here must say that I have had a challenging few months of late which is why I have been absent...dipping in and out, here and there and everywhere. Sorry it's been a while.
Tomorrow is another day. Today is now, live it to the full!.

Offline Teejay

Re: Change of name - MALI
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:33:50 am »
congratulations on your new name  :thumb3:

Offline San

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:36:56 pm »
That is an unusual name but congratulations on changing your name.  A few people  know are doing that but with all the paper work you have to do here I will just stick to the name I was given.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 06:09:48 pm »
That's interesting but what is a Deed Poll?  And, why did you change your name... and how do you pronounce it?   It's going to take me forever to call you by a new name.  I know that because going from Shez to Sheryl was hard!

However, if you like it...  go for it!!  One of my great grandchildren (by way of extended family) is named Maile. That is pronounced as My-Lee, a Hawaiian name.

So, is it just your first name that changed or did you change your last name too?    As a kid, I HATED my name because people wanted to call me "Mary".  That is not my first name.  I was a shy child so never corrected it but as an adult, it still happens but I am very fast to say "MaryLou".  Congratulations on the new you!!
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Joy

• to-day is a perfect day-dont upset me
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:57:49 pm »
lovely name.....

Online MaliTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 10:39:48 am »
Thanks all.  I have considered changing my name to Mali for many years but backed out. My previous name (Sheryl) has been misspelled, mispronounced ever since I can remember and continues right up to the present day. I cannot say how many documents I have had to return to senders in order to amend misspellings of my name.

Anyway I decided to make the change once and for all through Deed Poll which makes the change on a permanent and legal footing. It will be a mammoth task getting all "legal" documents changed into my new name but worth it in my case. For example; Passport, Driving License, Will, Banks, Pension...anything that is a legal document has to be changed.  Now it will be illegal for me to use my previous name. 

Shez was just a nickname and SherylC was my first name and initial of my surname, both used only for "board" purposes.

It's much easier to change your surname but easiest of all it to make any name changes before the age of 16, prior to the shed load of documentation that piles up! lol

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 02:04:19 pm »
Intersting!  Do you also get to change the name on your birth certificate?

I always have a problem with the spelling of my name.  I had to have my college degree re-printed THREE times before they got it right.  I get  Marilu,  Marilou, Mary, Mary Lou, and half dozen others!   I used to hate my name but am happy with it now because hardly anyone has my name!   :laugh2:
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Online MaliTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:51:48 am »
No it isn't possible to amend a birth certificate unless there are special circumstances.

I feel the opposite. I liked my name because it was different. i.e spelled with an S rather than the typical C but as time went on my name become more of an inconvenience to me as I constantly had to correct misspellings and mispronounciations. When I give my name I have to ensure I spell it.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)