Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - PLEASE READ!!!  (Read 276 times)

Offline MaryLouTopic starter

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - PLEASE READ!!!
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:55:11 pm »
PIRC has been on-line since 2000 and has had a very good run.  However, things always change and we must change with them.  The membership has dropped to no more than a handful, yet the jobs the moderators and admins perform still take just as much time as it did when there were several hundred active people.

Over time, people have migrated to other places such as Facebook and the company forums such as Serif and a few others.  I know thi will be a disappointment to some of you but it is a necessity.

Effective immediately, the Do Over workshop will be removed.  The purpose was for new members to be able to learn the basics.  We haven't had any new users taking advantage of this in a long time and it is extra work for the moderators.

Effective April 22, the day after Easter, the Workshops and the Challenge forums will be removed. The rest of the forums will stay and there most likely will be a little bit of restructuring.  PIRC will remain open for those who want to socialize and talk about various aspects of the Affinity programs.   There will be no moderators which means there will no longer be any structured projects and the board will be self-governed.

The administrators will keep an eye on things to make sure there are no spammers and such.  There will be an area where you can post links to any new tutorials that have been written or ones you've come across that you want to share.  The results can be posted in Show and Tell.  You can also post anything you create in our Facebook Forum.

Forums such as this one could be found on just about any corner in the past but as I said, over time, things change and we need to change with the times.

I wish to thank everyone for their support over the years, especially the moderators and administrators who have given so much of their time to make this an enjoyable place to visit.  A very special thank you to those who have been a PIRC member since almost the beginning. 

As to how long the forum will remain after the restructuring, that sort of depends on the users. If you use it, okay. If not, it will be permanently removed around July 4th.   :flowersmile:

Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Rege

Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - PLEASE READ!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 02:02:26 pm »
This is a brutal and unexpected statement that I can nevertheless understand, the holding of a forum is really very engaging and if it sees its attendance decline for one reason or another, the question of its continuation may indeed arise.
I hope we don't get to that end because even though I don't participate in all the challenges, I really appreciate the fact that we have activities that help to maintain the forum.
Personally I refuse to use Facebook, so this forum is the only place I have to follow the achievements of all members. It is up to us to motivate ourselves to keep the forum alive, even if personally I am moving away from Designer because of the lack of tools.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo

Offline Teejay

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 02:44:45 pm »
We can still share and encourage each other in what we do here

I will be playing in AD  and posting and will be watching for others doing the same.

Its different.... but  it will still be fun

Offline Linda2

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 02:45:40 pm »
~sigh~  What else can I say?

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 03:09:54 pm »
The difference will be that members will have to take a more active role.  Instead of the moderator doing it all, the members will be able to post a project that they like with the results being posted in Show and Tell.   We have less than a dozen active users and I don't see that increasing. 

By having the members suggest a project, it gives the admins the opportunity to do that project too.   So, right after Easter, all of the workshops and challenge forums will be gone. They will be replaced for a Tutorials to Try  or something similar for both AD and AP.  It will then be up to the members to add to that section.

So, you all get to help moderate! :)   The admins get a break and get to play too!   :thumb3: :bdance:

Offline San

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 03:31:30 pm »
It is sad  but we can still share our projects and post it should be fun especially if you all keep posting.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 03:58:22 pm »
I agree, San.  If the members want the forum to continue, they will have to help run things and contribute.  It's time the mods and admins had a break.  18 years is a long time.  Lynn has been here forever and so have you, San.  We've seen the ups and downs, people come and go,  people pass away and have made many friends over the years.  It's time we turned this into a user run forum and let the rest of us have a break. That doesn't mean there won't be work to do!  There will... there's always behind the scenes maintenance that needs to be done.  This could turn out to be a really good thing! :yeah:

Offline Linda R

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »
How sad this news is.  But, I do understand things change.  I wish I would have been here sooner!  I always look forward to the new projects and things to learn and try!  I'll still be here posting tho! 

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 08:19:56 pm »
Linda, you can still contribute by looking for projects that others might want to try but there won't be any schedule or any moderator.  I have not set up that forum yet. Trying to think if what I want to call it.  Anyone will be able to post a tutorial that they've written, one they found, ect. and those who want to try it can.  Results will be posted in Show and Tell.

I think this will create a more relaxed atmosphere and will also get the members more involved so everything doesn't fall on the admins and mods.   Basically, it will be a member run forum with admins checking in from time to time.  New concept - could be interesting!  :animal07: :giraffe:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 04:42:29 am »
Its exiting and different   :thumb3: :yeah:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 05:55:21 am »
Its exiting and different   :thumb3: :yeah:

see....this is exactly why I love being your  online friend.  While I am dragging around being morose and weepy, you are putting a positive spin on this happening and I think that is marvelous!
I try to have this ability but sadly most times I do not.  Ok, I will try and buck up and pull up my big girl panties and behave.          :flowersmile:

Offline Teejay

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 06:15:47 am »
Thank  the holy moley .... we dont want any loose butts drooping cos of baggy knickers
this board has some level of decorum

I really believe this is a really good way to go...
 we get todraw and try  any sort of tutorial .

i have looked at a lot of really exiting tutorials and not put them up for the workshops  because they were not   made for AD and it was a bit of a stretch
NOW...  lol   we get to run free ...all of us ... and share it...yep i am exited  :whoo:  ....  i cant Bl*ddy  wait... lol  :coffeecup2: :laugh2:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 06:49:22 am »
Thank  the holy moley .... we dont want any loose butts drooping cos of baggy knickers
this board has some level of decorum

What??    I am the picture of decorum. 

Offline Teejay

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 07:12:26 am »
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahhahahhahahahhahhah can you do  :bdance:  this in those  :laugh2: :whoo:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 07:44:10 am »
For sure.....'cause they have plenty of moving around room.  And that's all Imma say about that.... :laugh2:

p.s.  this is supposed to be a serious thread, sorry for the mini-hijack.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)