Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Drawing with Sharp Nodes ~ Lynn  (Read 137 times)

Offline LynnTopic starter

Drawing with Sharp Nodes ~ Lynn
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:38:31 AM »
I used to be able to draw with the Pen Tool in Smart Mode and have a node be Sharp by holding down Alt when I clicked, but now AD is not allowing me to do this. I can get a Sharp Node (shown as a square node) on my first click and on my second click, but then the Alt stops working, and I get a round node. Of course, I can complete my shape and then click on the round node and convert it to a Sharp Node, but this is extra work! Is there still a way to get all Sharp Nodes when drawing a shape or has this feature disappeared for good?

Offline Linda R

Re: Drawing with Sharp Nodes ~ Lynn
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:05:02 AM »
Lynn I went and played with mine, I never did well using smart mode so I'm not sure how it worked before.  But I did find that if you click and make the node and then use the alt and click the node again it changes to sharp.  It worked several times in a row, but it is an extra click.  Hope this helps!

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
Clicking a second time on the node with Alt held down does indeed work, and it will improve my work flow. I just wish they hadn't changed it at all!

Thank you for your help!

Offline Rege

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »
Lynn, I never really paid attention to these knot stories, I always draw in "Feather" mode. In addition to what Linda said, every time you place a node, you can change it by clicking on the "Convert to Shape" button in the context bar. It is also an additional step but it allows you to work on each node as the drawing progresses.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 11:29:25 AM »
Rege, that's what I was having to do after the first two clicks with Alt held down gave square nodes and subsequent clicks with Alt held down did not. However, I can change the round nodes to square (sharp) nodes more quickly by doing as Linda did--continuing to hold down Alt and clicking a second time on the node.

Offline Rege

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »
Lynn, if this is a regression due to the update, it would be good to report it on the official forum to get their feedback. I cannot ask the question myself since I have unsubscribed from the forum.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »
I don't know exactly when holding down Alt to get a sharp node stopped working (except for the first two clicks), but it was some time before 1.7 came out.

Offline Rege

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
Ah OK Lynn, thanks for the clarification.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)