Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Problem with styles since version 1.7?  (Read 526 times)

Online RegeTopic starter

Problem with styles since version 1.7?
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:06:44 PM »
For the first time since the transition to version 1.7 I wanted to create a style (a pattern) and there, impossible! I tried 7 or 8 times and each time AD gets stuck and the whole computer got stuck during one of the attempts! So I fell back on the good old "Ctrl + J" to get my way.
I would like to know if any of you have had the opportunity to create new styles since the update and if it has gone well.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

Offline Lynn

Re: Problem with styles since version 1.7?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
I had not tried to create a new Style in 1.7, so I opened AD just now, created a shape and gave it effects, then followed the instructions on how to create new Styles in AD Help. It worked! I now have a new Style!

The only strange thing was that I found that I had created two identical copies of the new Style. I got rid of the extra one.

Offline Linda R

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 02:22:26 PM »
I just gave it a try.  Created a shape, gave it a new gradient and fx.  When I chose the new style from selection, it choked for a minute, said AD was not responding and then finished creating the new style.  So it did work, just not smoothly! 

Online RegeTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 03:08:56 PM »
Thank you Lynn and Linda for taking your time to try it out, I'm glad it worked for you, even with some weird things.
I just did another test, it's now been 25' that AD is blocked, I'll wait a little longer and stop it with the task manager, as for the other tests.
I have already restarted the computer (and so AD) and it didn't do anything about it, I'll see that later, it's not a big deal.
Thank you again for your answers.

Offline Linda2

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 04:53:03 PM »
No problems here Rege.....not even a lag.  I gave it more than a few tries just to see if I could get it to stall but each time I just got a new style as ordered. 

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 02:44:55 AM »
what sort of pattern are you making to use as a style rege
show us an image of it  and i will give it a try

i can make a style and save it
i can also use a bitmap and have an effect and then save as style
before the new version  mine would not save a bitmap and an effect together
when i tried this it always saved the effect without the bitma ...now it is saving both ....yeeeeeeehaw.

show us your pattern so i can give it a go.

Online RegeTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 03:11:02 AM »
Linda, thank you for trying and happy to see that it works for you.
The studio reset didn't do anything, I reset AD but it didn't change anything either.
I then uninstalled and reinstalled AD and the problem is still there, I can use the styles already present but I still can't create new ones. As I did not manually delete the remaining folders after uninstallation, the problem was certainly reported in the reinstalled version since I did not lose anything (brushes, styles, etc.).
I also have a version from the Microsoft Store on the same computer and it works normally, I can create new styles there.
Both versions are updated to the latest version (1.7.1.404), only the direct version of SERIF is affected by the problem (at least in my case).

Online RegeTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 03:21:35 AM »
Teejay thank you for joining us!
It's a very simple style: a color vector shape with a slight 3D effect converted to png that I want to add to the styles to make a pattern, as I've already done many times.
This morning I did a test with a simple cog and it doesn't work either with SERIF v1.7. In the Microsoft Store version everything works normally.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 03:46:40 AM »
No problems here either. Maybe you should reload. Rege?

Online RegeTopic starter

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 03:54:07 AM »
Thank you Grethe, it's a good idea, I think it's my last chance!  :thumb3:

Offline Linda R

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 08:49:43 AM »
I just tested your cog pattern and it made a style with no problem.  Sorry you're having issues Rege!

Online RegeTopic starter

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »
Thanks Linda, I admit I don't understand anymore, after trying a repair, reinstalled, I followed Grethe's good advice by downloading AD again and nothing happens, even with the new installation file I can't create new styles! I may have more luck after a future update but I don't believe in it too much....
Thank you all for testing. :smiley01:

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)