Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: The appearance panel  (Read 45510 times)

Offline TeejayTopic starter

The appearance panel
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
hello i came across this little gem of a youtube
it shows a demonstration of stroke and fill using the appearance panel

i thought the stroke thing fun
but am impressed with the fill thingy... especially when  used with the gradient tool and the Transparency tool

he uses multiple fills with the gradient and transparency tool
but if you look in the layers panel it is all on one layer YET you can still alter each fill with the appearance Panel

here just watch this then you will get it    HERE
Below is my first attempt at a gradient

if someone has shown this video before just let me know

Offline Rege

Re: The appearance panel
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 02:30:10 PM »
Thanks for the Teejay link, it's interesting, but everything the "Appearance" panel does is already done with the "fx" "Contour" and "Gradient Overlay", I have the impression that there is redundancy. However, this needs to be further explored.  :question:
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

Offline TeejayTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 02:02:51 AM »
i have never understood that gradient overlay ... i must have a proper look at that ....lol sometime... :thumb3:

Offline Grethe

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 04:22:43 AM »
I watch it and saved it....and tried a little. But at the moment I can't see the use of it.

Offline Linda2

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 06:15:19 AM »
It's always fun to explore different ways to get around within an app.  Although I do not seem to have a use for this at present it is still good to know.  Same way with a different tutorial for making a crackle like background in AP I saw recently.  I watched the video and gave it a try but most of the stuff I am doing now I will not be using it.

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline Linda R

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »
I started playing with this today and had a blast.  I did make some flowers and they are actually posted in show and tell Here  I had the Appearance Panel docked but found it was easier to use it undocked.  However, every time I used it, habit is to hit the X in the corner.  I can't tell you how many times I closed that darn window!! :duh:  :laugh2:
On my flower I made a layer one color and the next layer added another color with a blend mode.  Then I just duplicated and made the flower.  Then I wanted to make a second flower and change colors.  You can select all the layers that are just a color and change them.  But if you select all the layers that have the second color and blend mode, that part disappears.  To change the colors on those layers, you have to do each layer separately.  Hope that makes sense.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)