Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: font manager again - Teejay  (Read 219 times)

Offline TeejayTopic starter

font manager again - Teejay
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »
after all the million windows updates i have had recently
my free font manager has broken

so ...what is everyone using
i have been downloading and trying out all sorts of rubbish and am fed up....
the best i have found  is one called ' Maintype 8'   and it  will cost me around 45

before i bite this bullet does anyone have a good font manager that works with manky windows 10 please

Offline Linda2

Re: font manager again - Teejay
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »
This one still works for me.  I used it years ago and then lost it in a crash awhile back.  I found a zip file on an external I had and took a chance and opened it.  It does work with Win10 (mine just updated) so I am back to using this one now.  I think it is still free too.  Anyway, here is the site.....FontViewer

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »
Linda
i love you
my husband loves you my chair arm  and carpet loves you
and the dog next door loves you

it works ...it works yeaaaaaaaaaa   thankyou so much  :bow:

Offline Rege

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:20:18 PM »
Currently I mainly use Main Type 8 which works without any problem with W10. There is a free version limited to I believe 2500 fonts, I am not sure of this number.  If you have several thousand fonts, the paid version is necessary otherwise you won't see them all.
I also have Typograph installed: (https://www.neuber.com/typograph/).
I had also used Nexus Font (free) with w10.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

Offline Linda2

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 02:17:42 PM »
Good. Hope it works for you.  It's not fancy but it does all I ask of it. 

Offline Linda R

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
I'm using Font Runner 3 with Win 10 and I have no problems.  It's free, maybe a bit slow at times but it works!  You can find it by goggling it.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 12:37:36 AM »
font runner doesnt work for me warpy
that was the one i last used and it refused to load ..

i LOVED nexus but it doesnt work either

i really like maintype 8  but its the price  ( i have over 4000 fonts)  i do like it though ...a lot

i will have a look at the typograph today ..

thanks all your the best 

Offline Grethe

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 06:21:26 AM »
I also use Font Runner 3, no problems!

Teejay, 4000...fourthousand...fonts??! I think I've a lot with about 850. You can't have them all installed?  :bow:

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 07:26:27 AM »
no they are not installed but with a font manager you can load them  for programs to use without having them installed  when you close the font manager they are no longer loaded
without a font manager i feel naked without the use of all my fonts ...lol

Offline Grethe

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 07:31:17 AM »
Uuuups!  :laugh2: :laugh2:

Offline Linda2

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 08:27:59 AM »
Me too teejay.  I have no way of counting just how many I do have because over the years I have squirreled away folders and folders crammed full of fonts. I have them on all my externals and  I call them up as I need them.  From time to time I will find a folder that I haven't used for some time and just delight in finding "old friends" and use them like heck for awhile and then eventually go on to something new.  And , of course, if I come across a new one that catches my fancy I grab it too.  I'm not very organized in that I label them by font authors or such but I generally can open a folder and recognize if I have any favorites in that one .  The only fonts I have actually installed were the ones that came with AP .at least I think it was AP....that had some new ones and I went ahead and installed those, but otherwise my PC fonts have only the basic ones installed on the drive itself.  I do so love pretty and unique fonts.

Offline Rege

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »
Teejay, buying Main Type 8 can be a good investment in terms of saving time and reducing stress, especially if there is a problem with the computer.
I just changed computers, the old one had become really too slow for all the tasks (for example AD was charging in 5-6 minutes at least), even if it was cleaned regularly.
I had made a backup of my fonts (9091 at that time) on the old computer and so I only had to recall the backup in Main Type on the new computer to have them instantly available.
I'm like Linda2, I have many folders with fonts and even though I've noted the locations of each font, the search and availability of the font is instantaneous with the font manager.
My Windows Fonts folder currently only has 304 fonts.
Today I needed four fonts not installed for two different files, so I loaded them during the use and then unloaded them.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 01:49:43 AM »
now font viewer doesnt work i have uninstalled and downloaded a fresh copy and installed that
i haves hutdown and restarted the pc but it isnt even loading my fonts ...
thats it
i have had it ... am off to spend some money

Offline Rege

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 09:11:06 AM »
Teejay, I don't know if you know FontBase, available here
https://fontba.se/
It is free and looks interesting. You may want to test it before considering buying Main Type or other shareware.

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
it is free but not all the tools are available then i think they wnt a monthly fee

i have bought main type 8

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)