Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Fonts folder - Rege  (Read 55 times)

Online RegeTopic starter

Fonts folder - Rege
« on: January 08, 2020, 09:02:40 AM »
Still no new drawing on my side, I just spent two days putting my fonts file in order:
1/ Install a few hundred fonts I had in reserve and that I hadn't yet taken care of so that they are available in the fonts manager.
2/ Uninstall these new fonts as well as almost as many fonts that were already installed.
3/ Create a backup (on multiple media) with the font manager.
I'm glad I'm done, because these operations quickly become tedious with the high number of manipulations.
I only kept 368 fonts in Windows, so I'm under the recommended number (less than 400) even if I don't have any slowdown with the new machine.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

Offline Linda2

Re: Fonts folder - Rege
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
Good for you Rege.  I really should get around to doing that too.  I just checked and I have 317 installed fonts, but on my externals I have many, many, many more than that.  If I were really organized I would sort and category them all into some semblance of   order....but I am not sadly.  Instead I point my font reader to one of the folders .usually at the beginning of the week....and just try and use whatever is in that particular folder until I get tired of it.  Then I will wander around and pick another folder and use that for awhile.  I still really like fonts but these days I find d/ling them less appealing thank goodness.   Anyway, good for you on tidying up your PC.   :stars:

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Online RegeTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
Linda, I'm not very organized either, my fonts are not classified, they are simply registered in the font manager, currently I have 9610 fonts.
I still have 6 large desk binders where I used to file the font glyph maps, but I stopped printing those sheets about 10 years ago, it was getting too big, and then I was off the computer for about 3 or 4 years. Since then I've forgotten the names of the fonts, even though I knew a lot of them before.

Offline Linda R

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:23:26 PM »
Well I just learned something!  I didn't know they recommended less than 400 fonts installed in windows!  I've only got 236 installed, all the rest are in folders so the font reader can get them.  I need to organize mine better and I did start working on it a week or so ago, but never finished!  Now I'm back at work for tax season so it probably won't happen anytime soon!!   :look:    Good for you Rege that you got it done!!

Online RegeTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »
Linda, I had seen this number of 400 on the SERIF forum. They recommend to stay below this number of installed fonts to limit the loading time of the programs.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)