Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: free brush and textures - Linda R  (Read 409 times)

Offline Linda RTopic starter

free brush and textures - Linda R
« on: February 27, 2020, 09:11:29 PM »
If you look at the welcome screen in 1.8, there is a free brush and textures pak.  If your welcome screen doesn't show up, just go to help and choose welcome.    I downloaded them but haven't really played with them yet.

Offline Lynn

Re: free brush and textures - Linda R
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 07:21:47 AM »
Thanks for this information, Linda. I hadn't noticed that the brushes and textures were available. I have followed the instructions and downloaded both of them. I made a new folder and unzipped the textures into it.

I don't understand how to change the size of the textures. They are 2000 x 2000 Affinity Drawings. I can copy and paste one of these into another drawing, but the lines are huge. How do I reduce the size of the pasted fineliner drawing?

Online Linda2

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 07:48:59 AM »
Lynn, I just put them in a folder and bring them in as a new layer and mask them to whatever I am working on.  Maybe there is another way but so far this is what I am doing.  Here is an example with three of them....all resized of course because they are huge.

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline Lynn

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 08:37:39 AM »
I don't understand why he provided the textures as Affinity Drawings. They would be more useful as pngs. Then one could access them with the Fill Tool - Bitmaps, and they would be easily resizable.

One can paste them inside a shape, but then you can't do anything else with them. You have to size them to fit inside the shape. Not very useful.

Offline Linda RTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 08:29:18 PM »
I played with these for a few minutes tonight.  I made a curved stroke with the pencil and opened one of the textures.  Then I clipped the texture to the stroke and made the stoke no color.  You can play with the nodes and make an interesting shape!

I also made a stroke, expanded the stroke and made it a thick stroke.  Clipped the texture to it and pulled the nodes apart and got the other object.  Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well.  It's late and I'm tired but I had to try! 

There was an instruction sheet that could be downloaded and it looks like clipping or masking was how they used it.  I opened a texture image and then exported it as a png and then it can be used with the fill tool.  Does this help Lynn?

Offline Joy

• to-day is a perfect day-dont upset me
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 02:48:01 AM »
hi, thank you for showing us what we (I) have missed...dont think to look at it...shall in future...
downloaded the brushes and finally understood the texture thingy too...lol
had a lot of  er fun, sorting it  and after the past two days of inkscape, it was much easier....lol
love marf
pirate by joy marshall, on Flickr

Offline Grethe

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 04:01:11 AM »
You can also import them in Assets as textures. Then you can change the size.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)