Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: On the outs with AD-Linda2  (Read 241 times)

Offline Linda2Topic starter

On the outs with AD-Linda2
« on: April 23, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
I am rapidly falling out of love with AD.  Twice in this past week I have experienced the total capturing of my PC when AD simply freezes in place as I am drawing.  I had this happen a while back remember, but nothing out of the ordinary since then.   Monday I had a "mini-freeze" but was able to finally back out  and restart with only minor inconvenience.  This morning however it happened again but much longer to get it to reset.   Nothing....absolutely nothing...I do will get my PC to function.  I can finally get the task manager to show but cannot select anything  even then.  I had to totally shut down.....even to the unplug everything and wait some minutes before I can get it to restart.  Even with all that nonsense when it finally does reboot....there is AD in the task bar....still running(or actually not running) but my mouse is frozen and I cannot even use the arrows to select it to shut it down.  I swore like a sailor more times than I care to admit but I stayed with it until something......I have no idea what exactly....but something finally allowed me to select AD and shut it down.  After that all was well, although I lost the drawing I was working on.  I am giving it a cold shoulder for the time being.  Windows did an update last night is the only thing that is different today....I mean I have installed no other programs and I do not use any other graphic programs other than AD to do my stuff.   My current OS build is 18363.815.  I have 16.0GB installed RAM and 1.69TB of free space so I don't think that could be the issue.  Anyway, I will be back as soon as I am over my mad with this @#$^!! app.

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Online Rege

Re: On the outs with AD-Linda2
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 02:00:25 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.
Do you have all your drivers up to date? With the Windows update, some obsolete drivers may cause this kind of problem.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 02:55:47 PM »
Yes Rege, as far as I can tell all my drivers are up to date as well.  I went to the Device Manager and checked them there so I think all is well .  I have not opened AD since early this morning but I may cool off and try it again later this evening.  Thanks for the reply.   I would report it but it is so quirky and my reporting skills are so rusty I am not sure I could adequately explain it to them.   All I know is one minute I am working as usual and the next I am unable to move anything at all.  AD is open and my current drawing is showing but nothing else works.  Furthermore...even after a hard shut down and reopening.... AD comes up with the same image showing and I cannot get any response from anything.  It seems that a "cooling off" period is required ….or at least it seems as if that is it.  Despite several attempts at rebooting nothing changed and on the last one I literally unplugged everything and waited 20 minutes before plugging it all in again.  When my PC finished rebooting there was AD...still open ….still showing my drawn image but would not save it or export it, and I did not get the warning that I was about to close and did I want to save, etc. but at least with that last one I could then close the app. Very strange.

Offline Grethe

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 04:56:51 AM »
Oh, Linda, that sounds awfull!
Have you been able to do something today? Do you have some guru in your neighborhood to help you?

Offline Teejay

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 05:22:24 AM »
that is manky
i have had the locked screen too  but it was with psp

i have had that happen in the past with ad  but not recently
what i Do get is a frozen mouse  thing
in fact, sometimes the mouse pointer icon disappears or changes from a small arrowhead to a huge one or a double arrow line or nothing at all and most times it is frozen and will not budge....
i have found if i unplug the wifi widget for the mouse and plug it back in SOMETIMES i can get my mouse back but then it might start freezing in stops and start
NOW when my mouse starts messing up  i will plug in my mouse  with the wired usb  and that works no problem
i can then close programs and  launch them and all seems ok

sorry for rambling but what i am asking is
do you think its AD or could it be the mouse reacting strangely to ad....have you a wired mouse you can bung in if you freeze up again.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 08:24:01 AM »
Good morning.  Thanks for the replies....and  no Grethe, I do not have a handy PC guru to help me out....LOL.  I am on my own.  While I am not the smartest at these types of things I have been around long enough to know a good many of the handy fixes and such, and of course Google is my friend and has helped me out of a jam more than once.  This is a first for me Teejay, in all my years of fooling around with different graphic programs I have not encountered a situation that so utterly frustrates me as this.   I did try changing out my mouse but even that did not help.  I thought maybe something running in the background was hanging up but I managed to shut down everything I thought I possibly could with no change.  I tested my Wacom, all my drivers are up to date there and even shutting it down didn't seem to change anything.  AD just grabs hold of everything it seems....I was not even able to get a pointer or anything to move.  I opened it late last night for a quick look and AD opened and closed normally.  Same so far this morning.  Yesterday when the last big freeze occurred I was working on a caricature using the pixel persona and it had multiple layers.  What I plan to do is just more frequent saves and shut downs to see if maybe it is just depleting my resources too fast.  At this point that is the only thing I can think of.  It will be an inconvenience but thankfully AD reboots in a very short time and truthfully I probably need to be up and moving around more anyway.  Sorry to vent and rave . 

Online Rege

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »
Linda, if you think your computer isn't keeping up, you can try taking a snapshot of your work and create a new document from that snapshot. This will take some of the strain off your computer's memory.
It may be worth testing to see if it helps.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

Offline Teejay

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 09:25:22 AM »
and vent away

we all do  it  one way or another and  i can loan you a few special favorite swearies if you need a few fresh ones  :cheer3:

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »
Thanks Rege, I had not thought to give that a try but I will!  And Teejay....as to your offer of new swearies….

Offline Linda R

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »
I hate it when things like that happen!!  I did have a major lock up with AD the other day, but I had been going thru a bunch of files I had downloaded over time so I was opening and closing a lot in AD and imported a lot of styles and such.  Then it suddenly locked everything up, but my processor was running like crazy.  Nothing would work and then the screen blanked out.   After a half hour of that I finally hit the power button and crossed my fingers!  Then it got stuck while rebooting so I did a hard shut down and crossed my toes too!  Finally it started back up and all was well.  I only have 8 GB of ram so I probably used it all up.   
Do you ever clean out your temp files?  They can take up a lot of space and slow your machine down.  Just a thought.
I'm glad today it's working better for you.   Venting is good, especially these days! 

Offline San

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 01:24:29 PM »
Sorry to hear you are having problems with A D I hate that when it freezes I use to have a lot of problems with PI and I found it use to do it when I use one of the tools so from them on I use to save before hitting that tool incase it froze   So check when it freezes next what tool you are using.

Offline MaryLou

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »
Whenever I'm having a problem with something in my computer, I run the free version of Ccleaner which cleans out all of the temporary files and such, then it can clean your registry and fix any errors. That always puts my computer back into good running condition.  You might want to give that a try.  I've used it for many years. It's one of those things you just don't want to be without.  Easy to use, and free.  https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Find a need and fill it!  . . .

Offline Linda R

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
I use C Cleaner too.  It seems to help!

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 03:58:50 AM »
Oh my goodness MaryLou, I used to swear by CCleaner!!  I had totally forgotten about it.  Many thanks for the reminder.  Will most definitely get that and give it a try.  Waving hello to Linda  and San too.  Hope things are going well in y'alls part of the world.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)