Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: Newbie to Affinity and Vectors  (Read 177 times)

Offline KrystynaTopic starter

Newbie to Affinity and Vectors
« on: May 12, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »
Hi everybody, I am from the UK and used to be/still am a member of BW.  I graduated at BW back in 2014/2015 I think it was so a few years has gone by since then.  I am now looking to being creative again, and learning all things graphic.  I remember Teejay, who loves chocolate, and a couple of other names I remember too.  Unfortunately, I lost my folder containing all the graphics I created in in the BW days, and recall Teejay working with vectors at that time. 

I am now retired :coolfb:, and have more time to spend with graphics.  I was looking at the Affinity programme, but don't know which to buy, the Affinity Designer, or Affinity Photo?  Which of the two are you guys using the most?  Could  you let me know and I will get it downloaded to my pc so I can begin at the beginning.  Many thanks.  Looking forward to being creative in these days of lockdown and Covid-19.  Trust me to retire just before all this began - not quite how I expected to begin my retirement years, but hey ho, it is what it is. 

Offline San

Re: Newbie to Affinity and Vectors
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 05:36:22 PM »
Hi and welcome I am sure you will love Affinity designer especially if you like making vectors.

I have both but only use Affinity Designer as I love using it for vectors.

Offline Linda R

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 08:55:27 PM »
 :hi3: Krystyna!  Welcome to the group!  I have both, designer is great for vectors, so much easier than PSP!  Photo is fun if you like playing with photos.  I love to take pics so I use both of them.  Which ever you decide, be sure to have fun.  I think they still have the free trial period going on so you could download both and play with them for a bit! 

Offline Rege

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 02:35:48 AM »
 :hi3: Krystyna,

If you want to make mainly vector Affinity Designer is the program for you. It also allows you to work in pixel mode (with less function than Affinity photo).
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

Offline Teejay

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 02:49:13 AM »
whooooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo  krystyna  :yehaw:

were you one of mine ....or one of the hoodlems that come to crash  and play ..
send me a pic so i can SEE who you are i remember faces more than names lol  ....people have lots of names but usually only one face... :laugh8:

you remembered right i  LOVE vectors so i got  Designer ...but i also got photo ... i havent really spent much time in photo BUT
you can export your work between programs ..(which i thought looked like magic)

Photo has its own set of filters/effects and the last time i heard they were working on getting plugins to work

anyway ...the programs are HALF PRICE at the moment so get both ...that is what i would do

have a good look around  and  let us know if you need help 
 a good place to start for basics is HERE
the things you make in the begginer tutorials  show how to use the tools and work the nodes ...  just yell if you need any help and we will all  pile on and get involved we love a good explanation here ...

look forward to bumping into you ...love T ...remember to send me a pic so i can peg you....lol  :ok2:

Offline Grethe

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »
I use both designer and photo and witch between them when working.
Whatever program you choose, have fun, that is the most important!  :elmo:
 :welcome01:

Offline Jette

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 06:45:08 AM »
Welcome to this wonderful group. you would love to be here, everyone is very sweet and helpful.

I am so glad for Affinity Designer. Before I drew in Paint Shop Pro, now I only draw in Affinity Designer.
I use both programs. Photo and Designer.

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)