Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: bald faced hornets - Linda R  (Read 50 times)

Offline Linda RTopic starter

bald faced hornets - Linda R
« on: June 28, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
After reading Lynn's comment that they don't have hornets where he lives, I thought I would share these images.  We had this nest at our house a few years ago.  It was quite large and you could walk right up to it and they didn't care.  I did this very carefully!!  But one night, I heard a commotion outside and I was going to go out and check, but since I was home alone, I decided to just look out from our enclosed porch.  So glad I did that because when I shined my flash light thru the screen, the bees just swarmed it!  I found the next day, that a racoon had tore the nest apart!  I bet he didn't do that again!

Offline Linda2

Re: bald faced hornets - Linda R
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
OMG Linda!  That is indeed an impressive size to that thing!  I have seen some large ones near places we have lived but nothing at all in this size range!  In the south we sometimes find  yellow jackets nesting in the ground.  You are on them before you realize it unless you just happen to observe from a distance and see them swarming around a hole in the ground.  Some years ago when we lived on a farm, Ron was mowing the grass and ran over one of their ground nests.  He was able to get away from them but it resulted in an ER visit because he had so many bites.  The doctor recommended that he carry an epi pen after that....and he did.  Never needed it thank goodness but that was terrifying.

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline Lynn

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »
Thanks for showing us these  :praise62: images, Linda!

I had never seen a hornet's nest (or hornets!) before. I do remember that my sister who lives in upper New York state was attacked by a swarm in the woods behind her house. She was terribly stung!

Offline Joy

• to-day is a perfect day-dont upset me
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 12:59:20 AM »
good grief....the racoon should have his bum kicked....
ive not seen an hornet's nest. have bees though
pirate by joy marshall, on Flickr

Offline Grethe

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:41:20 AM »
Mygoodness! That was a large one, Linda! Poor racoon, as you said, it wouldnever ever do that again!

We'd a wasp nest in our backyard, but got proffessionals to remove it for us.  :ok2:

Offline Linda RTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:55:05 PM »
We have some that build their nests in the ground too.  The racoons dig those up too!  They have pretty thick fur so maybe they don't notice the stings so much!  Those yellow jackets are mean too! 

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)