Affinity Forums : PIRC Facebook Affinity : PIRC Webpage :
PIRC YouTube Channel : PIRC Photo Gallery : Affinity Graphics

Author Topic: PSD imports - Linda R  (Read 157 times)

Offline Linda RTopic starter

PSD imports - Linda R
« on: September 29, 2020, 03:26:46 PM »
Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I found it this afternoon.  PS has smart objects and with one of the last updates to AD & AP, you can now import a PSD file and edit it.  I haven't played with it yet, but I'm going to.  You do have to go in and change a setting for it to work.  Here are two tuts, one for AD and one for AP

Offline Teejay

Re: PSD imports - Linda R
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 06:03:19 AM »
wow linda this is  :praise38:

do you have any idea how to create our ownsmart objects
i have used symbols to create a sort of template to do this but it isnt as impressive as the smart stuff

Offline Linda2

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:07:42 AM »
I have not gotten any farther than importing some of my .psd files just to see if I could , but was delighted to see that this was now possible! 

You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.

Offline San

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 02:56:37 PM »
I will have to look at this later.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 03:17:32 PM »
I have been looking around this afternoon and I don't think you can do "smart objects" yet.  You can use symbols or embedded objects and they use both AD and AP to make them work.  Symbols needs both programs.  Here is a link to a thread in the Affinity Forum with several links to short videos on the processes they use.
Teejay, you understand this stuff better than I do, so maybe it will be helpful??

Offline Teejay

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 02:20:48 AM »
ohhhhhh o like it but i think 'understanding ' is going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far
rege will understand it ..he has far too many grey cells working... :brav01: :brav01:

i do like it though  it is just so hard to get my head into gear and see where i would use all this cool stuff.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 01:06:11 PM »
I am with you Teejay, it's a lot to remember!!!  I get easily distracted!  :laugh8:  It is good to know there are some other things there, just in case it might be useful someday!

Online Rege

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 02:49:45 AM »
Thank you for that Linda.
Although I don't use mockups, I have downloaded a few for testing purposes. They don't look at all like in the video and I don't get the same result.
I do manage to place objects and the change is done live but on a texture, these objects remain flat, the texture does not appear through unless I change the transparency or the blend, which totally changes the aspect.
This may be due to the fact that the mockups I downloaded are free...
So my attempts with this stop there because anyway it's something I'm not interested in, but thanks again for sharing the information.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 07:50:38 AM »
Thanks for giving it a try Rege!  I may still give it a go.  I never used PS so I don't really understand "smart objects".

Online Rege

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 07:58:21 AM »
I still have a version 6 of Photoshop that I've never really used since I only do vectorial and I remember that I didn't understand anything about it anyway! I was confused by the fact that it didn't work the same way as Illustrator.
It's the same for Affinity Photo, I don't like this kind of software.
I recently received Corel Paint Shop pro 2020 as a gift with the purchase of another software, I took a look at it and I won't use it for the same reasons.
Windows 10 ; Affinity Designer

Keep on smiling! It will make people wonder what you're up to!! :)